Friday, 27 June 2008

No gardening this week


* It is cold, wet and windy
* Husband is on holiday and we are trying not to do things that equal a hard days labouring
* I am exhausted. Relocating 350 miles has finally caught up on me - months of preparing our old house to sell, the actual move to Cumbria, living in limbo in a rented house whilst we searched for Bag End, moving here followed by an unexpectedly large amount of 'fire fighting' as we discovered problems with the house that had to be dealt with immediately. The leaky roof last week was not exactly "the last straw" (that sounds so melodramatic) but it was one problem we could have done without.

Normal service will be resumed . . . when it is resumed. In the meantime, we still have a wonderful number of birds visiting every day and a huge monthly order with The Birds' Bistro!

The new feeding arrangements are working well (thank you Rachel) although it does mean a less clear view of the visitors. This young starling not only eats here every day but seems to enjoy sunbathing whilst digesting her lunch.

There are lots of baby birds around including this one - the biggest, fattest baby finch I've ever seen. S/he is half as big again as the adult birds, I think it is a Goldfinch but I am useless at identification until they get their adult plumage.

Edit: Thanks James - small fluffy thing now identified as a Greenfinch!

The Canine One is intrigued to find birds at eye level and this young Dunnock was not bothered by 30kg of Hairyness watching him.

The Greenfinch are regular visitors:


  1. We get some VERY intersting plants coming up under the feeders.

    Hope your collared dove makes it. When I was at university we had a very tame robin which had a badly set leg break. He made a great living going round the college window-sill, tapping for food.

  2. Thanks Mrs Flum, we were getting a lot of Sunflowers seeding themselves under the feeder but now I have a new trick. As the little darlings are eating me out of house & home I am no longer refilling the feeder as soon as it is empty, I wait until the following morning. In the 'fallow hours' the birds are doing a very good job of clearing up all the mess on the ground!

    Having now seen the injured Dove for three days we feel she has a good chance of survival, on day 1 her head was very ruffled and messy, by day 3 she has straightened herself up and is drinking and eating - all got to be good signs.


Thank you for leaving comments, I love receiving them; sometimes they are the only way I know I am not talking to myself . . . 😊