Despite having the biggest wood pile imaginable opposite the greenhouse we decided to tackle to smaller pile which LP built next to the shed. There's a long-term plan to relocate my cold frames so they are in a sunnier location, and to achieve this we need to shift a lot of timber . . .
We started uncovering the pile at 10.50, deciding to focus only on the large discs which did not require further chainsawing
and by 1.30 we were cleared up. No accidents, no mishaps and a decent quantity of logs. When LP is back, which should be in a couple of weeks, he can help with chainsawing the rest of the stack which he thoroughly enjoys.
It's childish (and slightly dangerous if you are daft enough to stand in the wrong place) but the best bit of splitting logs is when you have a really dry lump of wood without cross-grain that breaks cleanly and quickly, almost explosively 😀 .
Management is really good at working out what orientation to position each lump of wood to give the splitter the best chance of succeeding. I just drive the two 'on' switches.