Saturday, 9 September 2017

Somewhere to park?

So far this week we've had a 200 mile round trip to look at vans (early start) followed by a day with our plumber replacing a broken shower, about-to-break toilet and a boiler service (very early start) and a 200 mile round trip to buy a van (early start!)

We are tired and Saturday was scheduled to be a complete chill-out-and-rest day.  Which is clearly how we came to be standing on the drive in front of a large pile of bark chip with a wheelbarrow and shovel.  We always knew the bark chip was going to have to be shifted to make room to park a campervan but somehow convinced ourselves it would take months to find the vehicle and by then the bark might just have moved in the normal course of gardening . . . what were we thinking, Bag End is never that straightforward!


I filled the barrow, Management emptied it into an empty compost bin bay - over and over again for about an hour and we realised we'd shifted a huge amount.



After lunch he suggested that I take advantage of the weather and finish weeding the big Cottage Garden bed whilst he carried on.  I know I have only 'papered over the cracks' again as far as the ground elder is concerned but the (ever optimistic) plan is that I should be able to see new shoots coming through the mulch and can "magic water" them quickly; eventually enough glyphosate might get translocated to all the growing nodules and I might win this particular battle fo horticultural wills.





An hour or so later we both agreed we had had enough and took Daisy down to the river.  Here's a before and after comparison - reckon one more session should see us cleared up.









8 comments:

  1. You are busy and do work hard, you did shift a lot of bark. I don't blame you for taking a relaxing break with Daisy. I'm looking forward to seeing your campervan parked on your property too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, we shifted more than we intended/expected because the stuff is fairly dry & light and easy to move. 18 big tubs were also moved (3 trips of six each with the 'tractor') to the Cottage Garden so that helped.

      We're both quite happy that it is wet and windy today - maybe we'll get that rest day?

      Delete
  2. I'm not surprised you're tired. I hope you managed to get the rest shifted before the rain. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, we stopped mid-afternoon (for once knowing when we had had enough!). Very wet today, so the rest will get done when it gets done. X.

      Delete
  3. Well done & has the van gone already? We actually had a reasonable sunny day yesterday with no rain, but come Tuesday, the cold & wet are back for another week. Where is Spring? Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, by 'van' do you mean our caravan? I am going to need to sort my terminology out to avoid confusion because the caravan is staying ..... I just cut it off from the edge of the pictures of the bark chip! Sorry for the confusion, hope your weather is not too terrible in the coming days.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}