Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Good riddence July, you've been a thorough disappointment

July started by being a snarky disappointment and maintained that attitude for the next four weeks.  My little walking trip in the Pennines was washed out at the last minute when the weather disobeyed the forecast which had been issued, and the rest of the month took notice and followed suit.

I don't think I can remember a mid-summer month that has been so wet and unsettled.  Apart from occasional days it has also been bloomin' cold for the time of year with the woodburner on one night, and even when it's dry there is no residual heat in the ground to make sitting outside after supper something we can contemplate.  Even the Met Office admits it's been crappy 😕



The slugs however, are having a bonanza of a season.  Despite a thorough application of Nematodes the slimy little sods have decimated my runner beans and destroyed both the Japanese spinach and Purslane I was so looking forward to adding to salad bowls.  Emerging carrots haven't stood a chance, and sluds have also demolished my cosmos, marigolds and dahlia sowings, and the echinacea plants I was so keen to grow from seed haven't stood a chance.  I've realised this is one of the reasons I have blogged so little in the last couple of months - I am thoroughly demoralised, disheartened and discouraged this season and it's a feeling I am struggling to shake.



The only thing the slithery little sods are not eating is the weeds and oh baby, do we have weeds.  Loads of rain and a disspirited gardener who is not outside enough to keep on top of them and we are very, very close to an afternoon spraying "magic water".  I try my best to use no pesticides and be as completely organic as I can, but there are occasions (and outbreaks of ground elder) where those principles just cannot be maintained.



Yeah, I'm unnecessarily grumpy but now I've said it outloud I can move on and get a grip on sorting out some of the problems - when I'm recovered from the raging sore throat and jelly legs that a brief summer cold has shared with me 😡😡





8 comments:

  1. Oh dear Jayne, you certainly sound down. Although it is winter here & it should be cold, I saw somewhere on a new report that we are having our coldest, driest winter or maybe July in a looooong time. I've lost quite a few things due to heavy frost & haven't spent much time outside at all, not wanting to get my chillblains infected, even though I wear gloves. Maybe not much precipitation, but very overcast all the same most days. I've come to the conclusion that weather is what it is and to make the most of the best days when they come along. Hope August is a little better, so take care & happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Susan, it's only a cold - plenty of folk have to deal with much, much worse. Sounds like we have your rain, you are so welcome to have it all back 😀

      Delete
  2. I do hope you feel better soon Jayne. It's raining here as I type this and yes, I too have wondered what had happened to our summer. All we can do is make the most of the weather on the fine, sunny days. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, sorry you're soggy too; Management keeps reminding me that September is so often lovely . . .

      Delete
  3. rain here too! My three are up out on the hills above Malham today and Moss and I are painting. Wiser option. Late spring/early summer were beautiful and despite the rain and cold damp feel, our rivers and reservoirs are low - so how does that happen??!? My slugs have been quite well fed too, but finally I am on top of the wee beasties :) feel better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, sounds like you and Moss took the better option! Glad that you're on top of your pests, hope the potager is producing well.🙂

      Delete
  4. Our July has been dry but the slugs have taken full advantage of any dampness and devastated everything as only they know how

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I am not pleased to hear that you too have been devastated by slugs, but I gain a small comfort from the information - if someone as experienced as yourself is suffering then vegetable-beginners like me have little chance 😞

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}