Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Weeding #2 and a techie problem

Tech problem first - anyone know how to solve this week's computer glitch where the blog NavBar does not display if you're using Firefox on a Mac?  It works in Safari, and in Chrome, and is clearly visible on Management's Windows PC.  Google searches, looking in the Firefox Knowledge Base and rebooting everything (clearing cache, cookies, etc.) hasn't helped ....



It is not just my blog - Sue at GLAllotments and Kate at LiveLoveCraft are two examples where everything looks fine in a different browser, just not in Firefox?  


But on to problems that we can (eventually) solve.  There aren't many sections of any garden that will not become completely feral if they do not get some attention, weeding and general maintenance every now and again.  The long bed in the side garden looks mostly-OK for much of the year, and the Coppice & the moist bed behind the Top Pond are current successes - they only need a few hours each year and then very little maintenance thereafter.

Coppice in May:







Top Pond bed in June:





The Big Pond really ought to be in the same list but it has been somewhat neglected over the last two years and I am now paying the price with rampant growth both in the water and on the margin beds.  A couple of the grasses (which were bought as 'clump forming' not spreaders) have not behaved and it's going to take Management and I much of the Autumn to dig the blasted things out and start again, a heavy & very physical task which neither of us are really looking forward to.  But for today we limited activity to an hour of me wandering around in waders which was quite enough!









Will someone please remind us that next time we do this, there must be a limit of 30 MINUTES in the water.  It was not until I got out and changed I realised how cold I'd become and spent the next two hours shivering under a fleecy blanket with a hot water bottle - not quite at the point of mild hypothermia, but cold enough to know I'd got too cold 😒






8 comments:

  1. I use an Mac and Firefox and the NavBar displays and works for me. I tried Safari and it displays and works for me there too. Not what you want to hear I know. Have you updated Firefox? I'm up to date on 54.0.1. Some people are complaining their hide navigation bar doesn't work after updating to Firefox 54 ! Just a thought.

    Your garden and pond look lovely to me, please don't overdo things, just do little and often.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Eileen. I am on the same Firefox as you - 54.0.1 (64 bit). It's a minor irritation and I suspect will sort itself out eventually.

      Thank you for the nice words about the garden - always remember there are huge areas I don't photograph!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jayne - it's the same for me. The site is fine in Firefox on Mac. What a garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Roddie, comment much appreciated. Regards to family 😊

      Delete
  3. The garden looks lovely even if there are some slightly overgrown parts, and the top pond looks really sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice, I want to replicate much of the Top Pond planting down at the Big Pond .... don't hold your breath :)

      Delete
  4. Missed this post, somehow. I'll admit to not knowing what 'anyone' is talking about with techy stuff. I use what I have & probably do a lot of praying that it will be OK. People are also having troubles with Photobucket????? Anyway, the garden looks great & thanks for some update photos. Now, how about a "wetsuit" for clearing out the pond (lol), though, just a thought.......Why not pop on some thermals under the waders. Have a good weekend & don't get COLD. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas Susan, but I have an even better one - Management is also going to get wader and then we'll be able to do three times the amount of clearing in half the time!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}