Friday, 2 June 2017

Nursery area changes

The Nursery Area is, as per usual, a mess.  I think every garden has a couple of corners where "stuff" gets dumped and unfortunately at Bag End the dumping grounds tend to be larger than normal.



I would like to move that little plastic greenhouse which LP gave me.  It's really not much use and we would like to plant a couple of laurel against the fence to give me some privacy from the (watches-me-like-he's-a-peeping-tom) neighbour.  The bees which have taken up residence in an old bird's nest have other ideas so will not be moving anything from this corner until the autumn.



No surprises that Management and I have treated ourselves to "retirement presents".  His (not surprisingly!) is motorbike related and mine is some proper cold frames and the idea for Friday afternoon was tidy up the area enough that we could build the new frames and position them.  Which would have been fine and simple if M. had not had one of his "innocently making a remark which was so blindingly obvious once he'd said it" moments.

"Does this bit of trellis need to stay here?  Is it adding anything to the party?"



A couple of hours later we hadn't built the cold frames or upset the bees, but we do have a super wide open space that's lovely and tidy 😊





Naturally, small person hung around and supervised.








8 comments:

  1. Daisy is doing a grand job, the space looks very neat and tidy now. Yes, leave the bees well alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Last year we had to move a nest from the log store area which I hated doing but it prevented us getting into the shed. At least we can leave this one alone, and I feel so lucky to have bees nesting in my garden!

      Delete
  2. Now that does look much tidier & as for the bees, if they do not depart, you could always get an apiarist to take them to a good home. We've done that with a swarm that once arrived when the kids were little. I'm enjoying seeing your garden come back to life after a sleepy winter. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - see above to Eileen. We had an experienced beekeeper come and help me move last year's nest and I was disgusted by his attitude to the creatures.
      Unfortunately 'traditional' beekeepers tend to view them as honey-providers with more regard given to the product than the bees. Slowly attitudes are changing with more folk learning about kinder ways of keeping hives. If we had thought to design Bag End in one go (rather than making it up as we went along!) I would have made provision for a couple of top-bar hives but I'm not going to do that now.

      Delete
  3. Daisy is doing a fantastic job of supervising. Just look at what you've achieved under her watch. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. Proper supervision makes all the difference!

      Delete
  4. Our dumping ground metamorphosised into a cold frame area too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I'm in good company then 🙂

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}