Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Why 'not blogging' is not working

Oh damn, darn, drat, this not blogging lark is not working.

I do like the freedom I gained time-wise - "freed" from having to be on the computer to sort photos, write a new blog post, reply to comments (Am I alone in thinking all comments should be answered, even if it's just a 'thank you'?  Am I the only one who struggles with blogs where your comments feel like they've gone into a black hole when they are not acknowledged? )  But there was an unexpected knock-on effect in that I found myself spending hardly any time online at all; not reading the blogs I always favoured, not suddenly finding I've lost an hour by clicking on an interesting looking link, and then another, and then whoosh down the Rabbit Hole!  Instead I have read loads more books than usual, managed to keep on top of housework and laundry, and generally just dossed around a bit. 😀

What has not worked is the photographic side.  With no active purpose or reason for recording images I've hardly taken any photos in the last month, and those I have taken are still on their memory cards unviewed, unsorted, unsaved.  That's the 'not blogging' problem; for so many years the discipline of blogging has trickled down to maintaining and organising my photo archive and right now I don't seem to be able to do one without the other.

So back to Bag End blogging it is, at least for now!  😊

Might as well start with trying to round up what happened in the garden during April.  What hasn't happened is any rain which is ridiculous, but the driest April on record has meant I could get outside on a regular basis and make lots of progress tidying up and preparing the garden for the rest of the year.  It's worked too - prime example is the Coppice which got a thorough "going over" and deep mulch of bark chip and a couple of days ago it took me a whole 5 minutes to check the entire area for weeds of which there were less than I could hold in one hand.





It's been very cold in the last month and I deliberately held off sowing seeds but the greenhouse is now coming back to life, although on Friday Monty Don was planting out 12" high tomato plants (which looked remarkably chlorotic and yellow) whilst mine are barely past the cotyledon leaf stage.  Hey ho, they'll catch up and we're a lot further north than the Lord of Cord.





LP continues to beaver away one or two days a week and we now have a Trailer Park to keep the caravan company.





On the right you can just make out one of the chains which tethers the trailer to a stout fence post, there's another but that is less obvious :)



We took down the reed screen which had done sterling service as temporary fence and re-used some of the picket fence sections which originally came from the back fence.






The mess next to the fruit cage in the New Garden has now been tamed and hopefully will eventually grow into a lawn.  Management has taken on watering duties and is regularly to be seen with the hose after supper.  The two sections were worked on a couple of weeks apart which is why the left side has germinated and the right-hand side is still bare earth.



There has been much more happening at Bag End, both in the garden and elsewhere, but that will do for today.



















20 comments:

  1. We'll come back to the lure of tinter land, you have been missed! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, I look forward to catching up with Miss Moss and her servants :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! It's so good to have you back, even if looking at all your hard work makes me feel guilty for putting off painting the shed! In my defence it has been a glorious week so I've been out walking.
    I totally agree with you in that I take far more photographs than ever before now that I blog. It's good to have a record to look back on. Especially for you with all your garden progress.
    Just don't over do it, and blog whenever you feel rather than feeling like you have to. Just make sure there's a photograph of Daisy next time. 😉 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jules, don't ever let my over-doing it make you feel bad about being sensible and normal!

      I did realise after I published that a Certain Person was missing but do not worry, she is very well and her Press Office will be issuing new images very soon.

      Delete
  3. Yay!! Welcome back Jayne :)

    I totally agree about the photography. A blog post develops around those photos and I think I enjoy taking photographs more than the writing. I love reading blogs though and I was disappointed you stopped blogging just as I discovered your blog. Happy days now you're back :)

    I have my comments moderated so they get published and replied to when I'm in the mood to do it. That sounds awful but it's the time thing. Plenty of other things to do beside sit in front of the computer. Don't fret about it, we're all the same I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I haven't forgotten that I promised you a 'frog blog', the photos are still there - just not sorted!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see you back, enjoy it and don't worry about us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you m'dear, it's nice to be back, I think!!

      Delete
  5. Oohhh what a treat! Glad to hear your hubby is like all the others...BBQ and lawn master?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, husband doesn't do lawns and neither of us BBQ more than once in a blue moon.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back! I've missed seeing you, {though you are in the 3rd snap(giggle)}, the garden, Daisy & all the other bits 'n' bobs you talk about. Don't stress about it all!!!!! Just make it a fun thing, & maybe, as I do, limit your time on the computer when not doing a blogpost. Anyway, glad to see you again for now. Actually, the garden is looking good & love the pretty Dicentra, which I don't seem to be able to grow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Susan. Glad you like the 'greenhouse shot', thought it was one of my better self-portraits, ha ha.

      Not surprised you cannot grow Dicentra - it likes damp and shade. Will catch up properly soon with email and/or a skype.

      Delete
  7. I completely agree - I find it very irritating when comments I leave go unanswered :( So much so that I don't bother visiting those blogs anymore... I appreciate comments that are left on my ramblings (and occasional soap box moments) and feel that the least I can do is leave a reply to express my appreciation for those who took the time to leave a comment.

    Also agree on the pic side of blogging - it certainly has helped me capture the various stages / progression on our life on our smallholding.

    We are also in the midst of a hectic drought here - very worrying.

    Your garden is looking stunning though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dani, I am glad it's not just me feeling that way about comments.

      Delete
  8. Welcome back! I agree with the photo situation. It's easy to let them go unsorted without a blog to make you do it. The trailer park looks smart. We're making a caravan space in the front garden with the same fencing. Towed it back last week on my own and love it to bits :) Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I am sorry I didn't write back to you about the caravan. Looking forward to hearing what you've got and how it went. Any chance of you starting your lovely blog up again?

      Delete
  9. Yes I also thought the tomatoes of Mr Don looked a bit iffy. Also I am afraid rather small. Down in Somerset mine are already in flower...yes I am showing off but if you can take time off bloggging I can show off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well boast all you like GF, but you're 400 miles further south than me so I'm not sure it is a fair fight :)

      Delete
  10. It's good to catch up on your news. I agree that blogging gives a purpose to photography. Have you thought of an annotated photo blog? I agree with you about replying to comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Yes I have considered changing the blog format but in truth, I like it the way it is.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}