Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Week one

The first week of Management's retirement did not go exactly to plan ... not that we had a exact plan, but there were ideas - of relaxing, being kind to ourselves, taking it easy.  What actually happened is on Thursday he went down country and did not return until after the weekend.  He went to support his Mum for a few days; she's in her 80's, her last surviving sister is nearly as old and in very poor health.  Normally Management's sisters provide all the day-to-day assistance and driving around but they were both going away so M. stepped in to provide moral support, transport for hospital visits and so on.  Not quite how he expected to spend the first week as a free man, but we were both pleased that he now has the time and flexibility to do that when needed.

Daisy and I revelled in the unexpected alone time and the equally unexpected heatwave.  There was much sitting around in surprisingly little clothing (by Cumbrian standards), eating salad and reading the Kindle.  Although I am never likely to do so, there was much pondering as to why folk move to Spain and places with reliable climates.  But in a thoroughly warm and Mediterranean climate I would be unlikely to have such a green and luscious garden, so the foreseeable future I'll be staying in Blighty ... Some of the pictures were taken as I worked, and others a couple of days later because the first lot were over-exposed.  It's a sad day when there is too much sun 😎


A couple of years ago I dumped temporarily heeled in some Primula florindae until I had a good home for them.  Clearly they rather liked their temporary digs because they have self-seeded and grown until I (nearly) have too many - although I have become rather fond of the primula family and will never have too many!



Some lovely delicate, lilac Primula cortusoides and a few of the florindae now live next to the little pond in the Cottage Garden.  They should get enough shade, and moisture when the pond overflows ...



Many more have been rehoused in the new bed LP made for me recently in the Coppice; same shade and moisture conditions hopefully apply.





As well as digging up the primula I took the opportunity to plant out bits and pieces which had been sitting around in pots;  didn't realise quite how much I had done until it was time to clean the empties ...



Talking of ponds, the Top Pond outside the kitchen window is looking fabulous - despite getting badly frosted in late April the Gunnera manicata is recovering well, other planting is looking lovely, and the new path edging gives a wonderful sense of enclosure which we never had before.  Still need to replace the worn out bark chip path with slate chippings but Management tells me that won't take us long to do once we get started 😌
















8 comments:

  1. All looking very lush. I do and don't miss a pond. We have the space here but it doesn't really sit right in our chalk landscape and I used to hate and loath the maintenance. We now have just a tiny 2 x 3 foot one, covered with wide mesh that's more of a wildlife sump. I don't do a thing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The June bloom...well it would be if I'd got my act together! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at just taking pictures of flowers .... perhaps I should?

      Delete
  3. All looking gorgeous. We have a small pond, which is good for the tadpoles & our one & only water lily which does flower all summer. I have some annual primula & two are still thriving now in the cold & flowering (weird). Look forward to seeing lots more & what you put in those new stepped beds??? Thanks for the email. Have a lovely weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, the big water lily in our Top Pond is going mad this year, but difficult to photograph the white flowers ...

      Delete
  4. That's good Management could spend time helping relatives without having to worry about the day job and you and Daisy spent quality time relaxing in the sun. Your plants and pond look lovely. Plenty of time yet for other jobs. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, after two lifetimes of working very, very hard, we both intend for the retirement phase to include plenty of time to relax!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}