Wednesday, 17 May 2017

The last great wilderness

This is not a post about Alaska or the Knoydart peninsula!  It was finally time to attack the last great wilderness at Bag End - the corner of garden at the back of the house between the top pond and the vegetable patch.

It's always something of a shock to look back and see what it was like before, this is June 2014:

 

In late June last year LP cleared the area as far as possible followed by Simon coming in to grind out the remaining large tree roots.  Unfortunately you will have to take my word for it because after much searching I eventually found the photos of the big clearance - and sadly they are still in a "waiting to be processed and blogged" folder, ooops!

Last week we had a fabulous weather forecast, Management in London and LP here for three consecutive days (and fast forward to the end of it, yes I was completely cream-crackered, slightly sunburnt but very pleased with what was achieved).  So, I present for your delectation and delight:  the still incomplete transformation of our last great wilderness!





Nettles and assorted other wildlife-friendly-plants were dug out from the section that is going to be lawn.



The strimmer took care of the area that will be a bed.





A quick trip to Patersons yielded some huge pieces of larch slab.



The edging next to the path needs realigning in several places





We've taken the new edging all the way around the Top Pond which looks much better than the log sections I'd used previously.



Coming along nicely.  In normal Bag End style there are dependencies - we cannot move the soil heap and sow grass seed because the place where the soil is going isn't ready for it!












6 comments:

  1. Isn't it satisfying when a long awaited job starts to take shape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, you've read my mind:) It's a real milestone.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, it never stops at Bag End. Wish I had your enthusiasm for this garden, but I just don't. It's "awkward" in so many ways & I just can't see my way forward with it. Not been quite like this in any garden before. Will await more of your updates on this area & see what your veg beds are producing too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, wish I could come and sort out your garden for you .... but we both know that is not going to happen :(

      Will try to keep on top of the updates!!

      Delete
  3. It's looking amazing Jayne. You must be so pleased with the progress. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jules. Yes, I am pleased; we're now at the point when I can wander around the garden and enjoy what I'm seeing rather than "seeing" only the mountain of work still to be done.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}