Friday, 19 May 2017

Staff ?

Susan asked me if I was on the lookout for a "replacement LP"?



Thankfully I know someone who can fulfill all the requirements of a garden slave, but this chap will not insist on showing up at 8.00am and working like a thing possessed for 8 hours with a mere 30 minute break half way.

My gain is the IT industry's loss because the person who fulfills all our requirements is already onsite and knows the garden intimately.  The 19th of May will always be remembered in this house as a Big Day because it's Management's last day at the coal-face which is 21st century corporate life as he commences early retirement.

It is incredibly difficult to find someone you can rely on to work hard and diligently.  Someone with years of experience, does far more than the job description requires, has integrity, assists colleagues and can be trusted.  No, I'm not talking about LP (although all those things apply to him) but Management - his skills have been taken for granted for several years and it's going to be an almightly wake-up call and shock for a few folk over the coming weeks when they discover so much which Management took care of is no longer being done.  Hey ho, no longer our problem.

He has asked for a brief press release denying the rumours that the only reason he is retiring is because I need to replace LP, and reserves the right to escape for a few weeks contracting at some point in the future to get away from the long, oh so very long, list of jobs we've already lined up "now we've got the time to do them".




Congratulations darling, you've earned a rest although you won't be getting one!




The boards are full of "stuff" which we know, unless written down, gets forgotten and there are no plans to have it all done by the end of the month!  Just in case you think he is getting a really raw deal, the two boards of the floor are garden & sewing stuff which is just for me to deal with but his personal list of "Management only" stuff is even longer .....


14 comments:

  1. It must be wonderful to be in charge of delegating. 😉
    All joking aside, I expect LP will be greatly missed but you got very lucky with your replacement. Does he make a good brew? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, he's pretty good with the kettle but I can't boss him around quite as much as I can with LP.

      Delete
  2. I can thoroughly recommend early retirement. I know what you mean about him being missed and they'll soon realise they took him for granted. In my case I retired early and found out to my cost, if I'd stayed just two more years I would have had a healthy redundancy payout! Do I regret leaving? Not one bit of it. You keep Management busy Jayne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing some of the 'goodbye' emails he's received this week was quite gratifying/sad. Rather a lot of them were along the lines of "aaargh, what the heck are we going to do without you?"

      Gld you are enjoying your retirement, I am sure M. will enjoy his.

      Delete
  3. My heart truly goes out to poor Management! I doubt he has any idea what's really in store for him!
    (P.S.- your challenge is enthusiastically accepted!!). Really great to see further progress being chronicled from Bag End.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chris, but I suspect Management knows exactly what's ahead of him.

      Glad you're enjoying having the blog back :)

      Delete
  4. There is truth in the saying about not knowing how you had time to work before retiring. Don't forget to sit and enjoy your now shared labours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, we did some excellent sitting today - ate those strawberry goodies in the sunshine next to the pond, and then took Daisy for a short walk at Rannerdale. Oh, it's going to be so hard this retirement lark!

      Delete
  5. Excellent news. I can thoroughly recommend retirement. Martyn and I left work (paid work) on the same day and haven't looked back. Lots to do and not enough time to do it - we wouldn't have time to go to work too. Congrtats to management, or has he been rechristened slave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue (and Martyn too!). If you could see what is written on those boards you'd laugh - far too much to do and not nearly enough time.

      I wouldn't dare rechristen Management, although like all lovely husbands he does have a few 'alternative names'.

      Delete
  6. No doubt LP will be greatly missed but it sounds like you've got a good replacement.

    Strawberries in the sunshine and a Daisy walk at Rannerdale sound like a perfect way to spend a few hours of retirement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eunice :). Left alone, Management would have spent far too long today on the computer - unfortunately conscientious to the last, but I decided such a momentous day could not pass without a card, yummy cakes, and a visit to one of our favourite places. He didn't put up much/any resistance!

      Delete
  7. A new chapter in life for both of you! I was made redundant at 50 (didn't sit well at the time) & hubby left after 65, but in poor circumstances along with a few others who were unhappy. Anyway, now it seems, we wouldn't have time to work & do all the things we do. It's a steep learning curve, but a time to enjoy. Walks, gardening, caravaning (to, new to you places), & lots of other things. Well done Mgmt for your years at work, now enjoy. Have a great weekend take care & lots of huggles to both from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've summed up everything Susan, and thank you. I know I owe you an email, but my brain is a bit fried and we're intending on doing some work on that netting cage over the weekend. I promise I will write properly when I can connect brain and keyboard :)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}