Saturday, 20 May 2017

Our first day of retirement

If truth be known, the time elapsed between making the decision "leave now, not in a few months time" and actually finishing has not been long at all.  Factor in a lot of accrued but untaken holiday used to offset a notice period and it has been brief by most people's standards!  But for the last (gulp) nearly 30 years together we've not been known for dithering about on big decisions.

So it was that waking up this morning was strange, very strange indeed and we both felt a quite weird and displaced.  We have decided to spend this first week gently;  M. said to treat it as if he had a week off from work.  In our usual fashion, "going gently" took the form of an afternoon of metalwork and welding!

First take two large sheets of weld-mesh and cut off the nasty, sticky-out bits (if anyone would like to volunteer the technical term I'll be glad to update the text!)  Edit:  thanks to Eunice, I now know if short they are 'overhangs', if long they are 'flying ends'



Take a handful of the offcuts, stick 'em in a vice and knock the hell out of them with a large hammer (my only real contribution to the whole project).  Hey presto - hooks!



Take 8 lengths of 12mm rebar which just happened to be laying around and weld a hook to each length.



(In the middle of which take sewing machine to welding apron and sort out a buckle closure, who says contrasting hobbies cannot intersect 😀 )



Sympathise with burnt welding gloves . . .



Try and take photos of the welding from a really odd angle because it is far too dangerous to look at what's being done without a proper mask.





Move some of the net-house netting and limbo in with a large sheet of weld-mesh.  Balance it into position, insert four lengths of rebar, stabilise the bottom with some timber batten and whoo hoo - pea and bean support!





Planting is on my agenda for first thing tomorrow.







9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a very busy first day of retirement :) The sticky out bits on the weld mesh - if short they are 'overhangs', if long they are 'flying ends' :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{chuckle}} Thank you so much Eunice, I had no idea. Now I know we used the flying ends to make the hooks :)

      Delete
    2. You can blame my years working for a builder and having a very practical (ex)partner who was also in the building trade for me knowing that one :)

      Delete
  2. The first few days of retirement is definitely strange but believe me you soon get used to it and can't imagine it any other way. For the first few months we went to the allotment as though it was our job. We had to go every day but when we realised what we were doing things changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I am sure it will take us a little while to settle into our new lives :)

      Delete
  3. I hope there were plenty of tea breaks along the way! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many tea breaks and many "Daisy breaks" to check she was OK (she won't come anywhere near either of us if there are power tools in sight), play 'rugby' and have scratches behind the ears.

      Delete
  4. Going gently, my foot!!!!That was a hard days yakka! Just on catch up from a long day out yesterday & off to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Susan - do you expect anything else from us ?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}