Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Net-house progress

This is West Cumbria, also known as Wet Cumbria and we both know the continued spell of dry and settled weather will not last, so we're pootling about outside and making progress whilst we can.  Yesterday we had a quiet start to the week, Management chilled out and I planted peas and salad leaves in the net-house.



Fingers crossed the salad crops can grow away before the slugs find them, I've never tried grit around lettuce before but it shouldn't do any harm.



Atriplex hortensis - Orach 'Scarlet Emperor', new to us this year.



Without any coercion or pressure on my part, this morning M. suggested we make a start on fixing the netting to the net-house.  The usual Bag End dependencies apply and we had to finish moving all the timber first, so that we could see what we had.



Another fine example of  photobombing from Little Miss Perfect:



Not only do we now have a terrific store of second-hand wood, but I've now got a huge space (almost 4 foot wide and 16 foot long) next to the greenhouse.  Suggestions as to what to do with it gratefully received.  Our current ideas are either cold frames (but that would involve a lot of work to level the ground) or Management's suggestion of "flowers" (which could mean perennials, annuals, he's not specific).  I'm cogitating a 'physic garden' of medicinal plants . . . but there's no hurry to make a decision.



No pictures of the most of the work because two people, one up a ladder with wooden battens and the other tensioning the netting in two directions at the same time is not conducive to photography.  We now have both long sides secure and know how we are going to fix the ends.  For now we can relax a bit knowing nothing is going to blow away if we get bad weather.















14 comments:

  1. We are making 'proverbial' hay whilst the sun shines too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are Sue. Very sorry to have been AWOL from the GLA blog - I am woefully behind in reading all my favourites.

      Delete
  2. Productive as ever. Even if the weather is fine for odd-jobbing, take some time to for a day out & time for yourselves too. Explore, you have a wealth of wonderful places on your doorstep & further afield for caravan trips. That side strip would look good with a mixture of herbal plants & maybe some cut flowers for the house? I'm loving all those netted beds. Got me thinking, though we must net the blueberries properly this winter first. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Susan, we have a day out planned for later in the week :).
      No cut flower beds here I am afraid, I have a particularly strong dislike of flowers in the house - I cannot see the point of cutting flowers to bring inside where they will rapidly die. Far better to leave them outside where the bees and other insects can benefit and the flowers will last much longer. It's also terribly bad feng shui to have plants & flowers die indoors.
      Apologies that "lack of blog visiting" comment to Sue above applies to you also {and just about everyone else as well, sorry :(. }

      Delete
  3. A veritable market garden going on there☺our little potager would fit in one corner! But I love the process of sowing, planting, growing then the rewarding part - eating! A suggestion for your new potential planting area.... If the drainage is good, I'd definitely go for a herb or physic garden. Beneficial visually, medicinally and for bees. Xx PS hello Daisy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, you are absolutely right - the process of sowing seed, planting out, and all that goes with it is amazing.

      Think drainage is reasonable is this area, it slopes slightly, used to be lawn, gets lots of sun.

      PS: hello gorgeous Moss-girl :). 🐾🐾

      Delete
  4. You're back - hooray! So glad to be reading you again Jayne.

    It took me couple of seconds of looking to see your red orach - from the angle my screen was at they looked like puddles :-) I think it's the silvery sheen to the leaves. And now to catch up with what you've been up to....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back to you too :)

      Sorry the orache is a bit camera shy, at present most of the red is on the underside of the leaves. It's absolutely beautiful in the flesh, so much so I've just ordered seeds from another variety.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a LOT of progress. I'm sure poor M must be looking forward to finishing the garden (fat chance of that, I'd expect). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Baker, it is always such an honour and so wonderful to be the recipient of your petits bons mot .... xx

      I assure you it's not just Management who'd like to see the heavy work in the garden finally done with!

      Delete
  6. You're making good progress Jayne. I love how Daisy often gets in on the act. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice; Daisy is a very important member of the family and not a lot happens which does not include Her Ladyship 😊

      Delete
  7. Little Miss Perfect Daisy is supervising and doing a grand job, as you and M are too of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Daisy is quite aware that her role in the proceedings is the most important!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}