Thursday, 18 May 2017

Nearing the end

We've been here before - LP has gone away for a few months not intending to return but the lure of endless hard work and relentless graft at Bag End pulls him back [NOT]!!   This time, however, his house is sold, he's bought a new one the other side of the country and it's quite likely that today was his penultimate day with us.

Thursday started well (for me) with Management meeting him in town to collect steel and timber. 



Their reward for this selfless act was bacon and egg sandwiches.



It took LP very little time to fix the compost bin side which needed more support, and whilst the tools were to hand we put in some bracing for the picket fence.



LP and I put in the final section of larch slab around the Top Pond which completes, for now, all we can do in this area. 



In another act of Bag End insanity, I had LP finish dismantling the nursery beds we built a couple of years ago.  I over-designed them, haven't used them as much as I had hoped and want the timber for something else . . .



That something else being (hopefully) the last large bed we create.



Unexpectedly, but happily, we had a delivery from Northern Polytunnels and with Management available we spent an hour or so in the afternoon man/woman-handling a very large piece of shade netting.  For now it is clamped in place and over the weekend Management and I will tension it and fix it firmly to the frame.  Happy Days . . . !!














8 comments:

  1. Love the thought of those shade beds, but do you need them in your summers or is it for winter frost? Everything I grow is just out in the weather, whatever is thrown at it. Admittedly I've grown very little in the way of veg since we moved here, but hopefully I might just get a bit going this year. I see Daisy peeping out of one of those photos! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be both shade & wind protection and mayb a degree of frost protection too Susan, and should keep some of our wildlife off the veggies. Eventually there will be mesh doors at each end to allow pollinators in but keep birds out.

      Delete
  2. So will you be on the lookout for a substitute LP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recruitment is taken care of Sue, that's for another post :)

      Delete
  3. The end of an era. Or the start of a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that! Please "watch this space", so to speak . . .

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Well, can't get set in our ways, can we? :)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}