Saturday, 18 March 2017

This week in the garden

I've already written about my lovely but thoroughly exhausting day on Wednesday;  although a great deal was accomplished I was completed worn out by the end of it.  Despite being an extremely willing and hard worker, there are occasions when LP has what I refer to as "away days" when his body is present but not necessary connected to his brain.   As a result I had to "micro manage" what was done and it wore me out completely.  I'll give you a prime example:

Whilst I could go out and buy more timber I would really like to see if we can complete the raised beds without adding any more to the profits of our local builders' merchant.  Therefore it's extremely important that we use the wood we've got very carefully.  I had sorted out the 8" x 2" timber for Wednesday and at one point had a long conversation with LP where I asked him to cut Piece A a certain length for the front of the bed, because that would leave us exactly 24" left over which was the size needed for a side.  This took some time because he was determined to cut Piece B, which would have left me with an off-cut too small to be useful.  Eventually he said "OK, right, I get what you mean now" and I put Piece A in front of him.  He turned away to get his saw, picked up Piece B and started to measure where the cut should be.  It took, maybe, 1.5 seconds for him to have abandoned the correct piece and pick up the wrong one.

This did not happen once, it happened pretty much on every single bit of timber, and with every single element that needed measuring ..... believe me, after six or seven hours of micro-managing at this level your brain would be completely fried as well.

So I was very glad that I had enjoyed a few hours alone in the garden on both Monday and Tuesday afternoons, because thanks to imminent-brain-implosion and bloody awful weather, there was to be no more progress 😊



So, what did I get done?  Well, nothing particularly earth shattering, but "real gardening" that feels so good 😊

I moved self-seeded Clary and Foxgloves from the New Garden to the beds behind the patio.







The new mower was christened and I cut the Cottage Garden lawn but the ground is really too wet and soft so I did not try to do any more.   Instead, I had a bit of a blitz on the large bed next to the fruit cage.  Lots of remedial work planned here for later in the year.



All of the lovely campanula my neighbour gave us has been planted out - some in the two narrow beds near the sheds, and the rest in an attempt to make an attractive edging around the Big Pond.  I ran out of time, energy and campanula but it's a start.





I'm feeling a tad despondent about the Big Pond at present. Although we have created ponds in every previous garden I have never had the fun of making one so large, with such a big planting area.  Unfortunately I had no idea just how invasive some of the plants we put in were going to become, and taking my eye off the ball the last couple of years has now come back to bite-me-on-the-bottom.





On the far side of the Big Pond (furthest away from the house) I am going to have to dig out pretty much all of the various grass species which are out of control.  It will be a thoroughly horrible job - these plants are tough, and strong, and very well rooted, and we've got to do it all without damaging the pond liner.



So apart from being grumpy and tired after Wednesday, it really wasn't a bad week, I just wish it would flippin' stop raining.😊





11 comments:

  1. You have been busy. Once the campanulas start flowering it will look beautiful,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. The campanula seems to be evergreen so it should look half-decent all year.

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed the clouds still have rain left in them. Shall we resurrect the Ark building plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get the timber m'dear, I will start rounding up animals in pairs . . .

      When I took Daisy out late last night it had (for once) stopped precipitating, there was no wind and everyhting was lovely and still. So still that I could HEAR water moving through the ground up on The Green . . .

      Delete
  3. A busy week, although by the sound of it LP forgot his brains on Wednesday.(giggle) Look forward to seeing what you put in & around the pond. Our wee little pond needs clearing on the outside of very invasive erigeron, which seems to takes over. Have a good week & take care. BTW, the daffs look lovely & I do love foxgloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erigeron is so very pretty though. Will email . . .

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you need some cake; at least you didn't brain LP with the offcuts which, by the sounds of your day, I would probably have resorted to. Well done on your self control! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not self control it is self interest. If I ever resorted to violence there is an extreme chance he would not come back, and then I would be (to quote the best TV show in the world*) " attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis? "

      * Big Bang Theory, of course!

      Delete
  5. You've had a busy but frustrating week! Your garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you had the patience - I think one of those pieces of timber would have connected with LP's head if I'd been there. :) My ex partner was a landscape gardener but other than cut the grass and trim the hedge I would never let him touch my garden for that reason - he always wanted to do what HE wanted rather than what I asked him to do :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's beautiful! Now that it's done I hope you can enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}