I've already written about my lovely but thoroughly exhausting day on Wednesday; although a great deal was accomplished I was completed worn out by the end of it. Despite being an extremely willing and hard worker, there are occasions when LP has what I refer to as "away days" when his body is present but not necessary connected to his brain. As a result I had to "micro manage" what was done and it wore me out completely. I'll give you a prime example:
Whilst I could go out and buy more timber I would really like to see if we can complete the raised beds without adding any more to the profits of our local builders' merchant. Therefore it's extremely important that we use the wood we've got very carefully. I had sorted out the 8" x 2" timber for Wednesday and at one point had a long conversation with LP where I asked him to cut Piece A a certain length for the front of the bed, because that would leave us exactly 24" left over which was the size needed for a side. This took some time because he was determined to cut Piece B, which would have left me with an off-cut too small to be useful. Eventually he said "OK, right, I get what you mean now" and I put Piece A in front of him. He turned away to get his saw, picked up Piece B and started to measure where the cut should be. It took, maybe, 1.5 seconds for him to have abandoned the correct piece and pick up the wrong one.
This did not happen once, it happened pretty much on every single bit of timber, and with every single element that needed measuring ..... believe me, after six or seven hours of micro-managing at this level your brain would be completely fried as well.
So I was very glad that I had enjoyed a few hours alone in the garden on both Monday and Tuesday afternoons, because thanks to imminent-brain-implosion and bloody awful weather, there was to be no more progress 😊
So, what did I get done? Well, nothing particularly earth shattering, but "real gardening" that feels so good 😊
I moved self-seeded Clary and Foxgloves from the New Garden to the beds behind the patio.
The new mower was christened and I cut the Cottage Garden lawn but the ground is really too wet and soft so I did not try to do any more. Instead, I had a bit of a blitz on the large bed next to the fruit cage. Lots of remedial work planned here for later in the year.
All of the lovely campanula my neighbour gave us has been planted out - some in the two narrow beds near the sheds, and the rest in an attempt to make an attractive edging around the Big Pond. I ran out of time, energy and campanula but it's a start.
I'm feeling a tad despondent about the Big Pond at present.
Although we have created ponds in every previous garden I have never
had the fun of making one so large, with such a big planting area.
Unfortunately I had no idea just how invasive some of the plants we put
in were going to become, and taking my eye off the ball the last couple
of years has now come back to bite-me-on-the-bottom.
On the far side of the Big Pond (furthest away from the house) I am going
to have to dig out pretty much all of the various grass species which
are out of control. It will be a thoroughly horrible job - these plants
are tough, and strong, and very well rooted, and we've got to do it all
without damaging the pond liner.
So apart from being grumpy and tired after Wednesday, it really wasn't a bad week, I just wish it would flippin' stop raining.😊