Wednesday, 15 March 2017

(nearly) Instant Gardening

This week is turning out much, much nicer than expected.  Whilst the ground is still completely saturated and far too wet to work on, both Monday and yesterday were bright and dry and I have had a few hours outside each afternoon.

Today was an "LP day" and we went for our own version of Ground Force, but without the decking ... Fortunately the supply of materials laying around has not yet dwindled too far and we had all the wood needed; by lunchtime there was a new raised bed next to the shed where a large woodpile stood only a week ago!





After lunch it didn't take too long block up the gap under the shed, fill the bed with soil & home-made compost and plant three more clematis.  Then we started on the hard graft of 'groundwork' which involved much fiddling around to balance out the slope and remove a bit of a stumble hazard.

Right, now I'm going to have a bellyache-and-moan.
Last autumn I agreed to LP coming in for a day when I was away and despite NUMEROUS conversations about where he was (and was not) to put chippings, he managed to put about a ton of rock in two places where he had been expressly told not to.  I knew that chippings would not work at the front and back of the newest shed because they'd get full of bark, sawdust and general muck and six months on I am still hacked off about it.  The idea for today was to put the stone through the Sherpa to get rid of all the muck and re-use it around the new bed, but that did not work too well.  Having not used the machine for a couple of years it wasn't rotating properly, probably needs a new belt, and we were running out of time.



But eventually there will be somewhere level to put a bench so I can collapse at the end of a long stint in the vegetable patch (and until then a broken paving slab works fairly well under one of the legs!)






12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No point Susan, it was and both he and Management know how annoyed I was. It will eventually be fixed.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, men eh :) It's nice to sit and relax in the garden, or collapse in your case. I had to lose our garden bench when we had a conservatory built, not enough room for both in my envelope-sized garden :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had to lose your bench, but if you got a conservatory in exchange that's not a bad deal :)

      Delete
  3. Think I'd say, "Oh well, you're just a male & don't listen, so now do what I told you!" I love all your raised beds & think it is such a good idea. Not likely to happen here though. Look forward to seeing those clematis in flower. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, why can you not have raised beds? Management has been very keen we create them to make life easier when I am older and I am sure he is right :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's a good place for late afternoon sun, and quite sheltered too. One of those funny little ideas that has been on my "list" for longer than I can remember, along with the bed, but I knew we'd get there eventually.

      Delete
  5. That looks a nice sunny spot for the bench. (I'm overlooking the chippings faux pas). Thank you for the website recommendation. I've had a good look. What a fantastic garden. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, don't be overwhelmed by Charles Dowding's site - he's been at this "no dig completely organic" lark since the early 80's.

      I saw somewhere that Gardeners' World filmed there last year and it will be shown in the new series; not sure how much coverage it will receive but apparently Monty Don has now pretty much given up digging over soil each season having seen how wonderful the soil is and how well plants grow when things are undisturbed. And it makes total sense - no-one digs a forest floor each year and yet when left alone growth is verdant and healthy.

      Delete
  6. The new raised bed looks great, what have you got planned for planting in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are already three clematis planted to go up the trellis and along the front I would like to put in more campanula or something similarly low-maintenance.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}