This week is turning out much, much nicer than expected. Whilst the ground is still completely saturated and far too wet to work on, both Monday and yesterday were bright and dry and I have had a few hours outside each afternoon.
Today was an "LP day" and we went for our own version of Ground Force, but without the decking ... Fortunately the supply of materials laying around has not yet dwindled too far and we had all the wood needed; by lunchtime there was a new raised bed next to the shed where a large woodpile stood only a week ago!
After lunch it didn't take too long block up the gap under the shed, fill the bed with soil & home-made compost and plant three more clematis. Then we started on the hard graft of 'groundwork' which involved much fiddling around to balance out the slope and remove a bit of a stumble hazard.
Right, now I'm going to have a bellyache-and-moan.
Last autumn I agreed to LP coming in for a day when I was away and despite NUMEROUS conversations about where he was (and was not) to put chippings, he managed to put about a ton of rock in two places where he had been expressly told not to. I knew that chippings would not work at the front and back of the newest shed because they'd get full of bark, sawdust and general muck and six months on I am still hacked off about it. The idea for today was to put the stone through the Sherpa to get rid of all the muck and re-use it around the new bed, but that did not work too well. Having not used the machine for a couple of years it wasn't rotating properly, probably needs a new belt, and we were running out of time.
But eventually there will be somewhere level to put a bench so I can collapse at the end of a long stint in the vegetable patch (and until then a broken paving slab works fairly well under one of the legs!)