Phew, remind me that three consecutive days with LP is completely, totally and thoroughly exhausting . . . I meant to write this up on Wednesday and Thursday but there are just not enough hours in the day.
So, where were we .. oh yes, crazy but excellent day on Tuesday where loads of smallish jobs job tackled. With a definite plan to keep up the momentum on Wednesday and carry on clearing the ground in the New Garden so we can sow grass seed. This being West Cumbria [which I tempted to rename Wet Cumbria] the weather had other ideas and it rained overnight - hard - making already fairly wet soil completely saturated and it impossible to work. The only work that LP could get on with was the usual standby Plan B: log store. That is a task he relishes and goes at with an energy and zeal normally reserved for folk a couple of decades younger.
I have a small but nonetheless important series of household chores that have to be attended to each morning:
take Daisy out for early bathroom break,
get myself washed, dressed and breakfasted,
lay the woodburner for the evening,
vacuum sitting room thanks to Daisy being the messiest biscuit-cruncher in all of the world,
get something out of the freezer for supper,
wipe around bathroom,
walk Daisy 'properly' (in other words be out for at least an hour).
That started off as a continuous paragraph but when I realised just how much was on this list I thought I'd spread it out for effect 😉 Anyhow, the point is that if I do not get interrupted it doesn't take long to get to the 'walk Daisy properly' stage but everything takes much longer when I have to be around the garden to
direct operations, make decisions, and quite often even lend a hand.
we started this morning the log pile was higher than the red rope (which is stopping the supporting posts at each end from splaying out ). I went indoors to get on with the morning chores and when I came out an hour later the cut log pile was so large he'd had to stop!
I left LP setting up the log splitter and took Daisy for a lovely walk. And so the pattern was set for two days. I did joke that he was working himself out of a job because once the side of the shed is cleared we really don't have much more in the way of 'wet weather work' but he didn't seem too bothered.
Both afternoons I ran the log splitter whilst LP loaded it, and we had a brief deviation to build a "temporary' log store extension out of pallets.
It wasn't all lumberjack work. Both days were so bright and sunny that the greenhouse vents were opening automatically
and lunch was taken by the pond which meant we saw lots of newts, numerous frogs, and caught the first Great Diving Beetle of the year.
Daisy wandered around enjoying being outside
A quick picture on Thursday morning; equipment set up but no mess yet
The pile is getting smaller!
And at the end of it all: a full log store
A full 'temporary' log store
The side of the shed is clear and I've got a plan for what to do with the space
Despite being shattered at the end of three very busy days, there was still time to enjoy interesting clouds even if Management and I never did agree on what sort they were.