Friday, 17 March 2017

Caravan cushions

It must be at least two weeks ago when, during a particularly wet week with rain every single day at some point or another (and when it did not rain it was pretty cold) I "extracted the digit" and continued to cut up the quilted green piece.  On the Tuesday I created two bolster cushions, Wednesday produced four regular cushions and during a weekend I used nearly every last scrap for three large placemats and four mug mats.









Things stalled a bit after I put a binding on the placemats.  Whilst I loved the contrast of purple and green, WHEN am I going to remember (and learn) that the large supply of Oakshott cotton fabric I have is really not very nice to work with?  Yes it is exceptionally pretty, and yes it has a lovely feel to it, but the stuff is a slippery as a bag of irritated eels and was moving all over the place as I tried to hand-finish the binding.  It was gloriously liberating to cut the whole lot off (only made each mat half an inch smaller) and use a nice stable red print which has behaved beautifully.  Unfortunately it's taken me the best part of a fortnight to find time and energy in the evenings to finish all seven pieces.  But now they are done and look lovely.













Even found time to make Daisy a couple of new house coats.  A metre of fleece and a few inches of Velcro later . . . but Madam was not really in the mood to model this season's daywear 😀😀














12 comments:

  1. I love the tail in the final photo ... it definitely says 'she's got that camera thing pointing at me again...! Your cushions look sumptuous and the red outlines the placemats perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I know you had misgivings about my cutting up what seemed to be a perfectly good quilt, but I hope you think it was worthwhile :). As for Daisy's second photo - you should have seen the ones I haven't used!!

      Delete
  2. Love the first photo of Daisy, she looks totally p'd off! :) I like the mats too, especially the red ones, they look really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice, actually Daisy has been in a funny mood for a few days - not off her food, no upset tummy, nothing obvious, but she's not "herself" if you know what I mean.

      Glad you like the mats, I'm afraid the 'red ones' are the backs . . . But it does mean they're double-sided!

      Delete
  3. The mats are lovely, Oh, to be able to sew! But Daisy looks so cute in her coat. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, I wish you were nearer - it wouldn't take long to teach you a few things :)

      Delete
  4. The 'cushions' are what I like the best, and the placemats, I think, look better with the red than the purple. Like you, I'm not a fan of slippery stuff by hand or with a sewing machine. Hope Daisy is OK & maybe it's just the changing seasons. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, the cushions are even nicer for real, you'd better get back to Blighty before I wear them out!

      I don't think there is anything too serious up with Daisy, maybe she's just as fed up with the weather as I am and bored with the same few walks where we are avoiding as much mud as possible.

      Delete
  5. I do like your handiwork, lovely mats and cushions.
    Re: your reply to Eunice, I hope Daisy is OK. I've noticed Annie has slowed down somewhat although mention walkies and she bucks up a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thank you for the nice words about my sewing :)

      As I just said to Susan, Daisy might just be bored . . . this winter has been long, dull and wet and we're rarely ventured to the "interesting places" for walks. Fingers crossed that soon will change.

      Delete
  6. One good reason to steer away from purple material I think! All turned out lovely in the end though. Sounds as though Daisy will be needing her warm coats this coming week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame about the Oakshott fabric, I am sure I'll find a use for it eventually :)
      I guess a winter coat is the last thing you ever need to think about for Heidi ?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}