Tuesday, 28 February 2017

There is probably medication, but I choose not to take it

Anyone with a much-loved dog who is not as young as she used to be will recognise this scenario:  a jump into the car or down from the sofa which used to happen without a thought can still be accomplished but you see a moment of hesitation, a brief pause as joints age and muscles stiffen.  And so it is with Daisy who has now been with us 4½ years and is probably around 12 years old.

When we first got a caravan Madam could easily jump on and off the bed with no difficulty, but in the new caravan I have noticed she has to think about it for a moment, so of course I have to do something about the problem.

In our usual fashion, nothing is simple at Bag End 😀

We tried plastic glasses and melamine plates in the caravan and we really do not like eating or drinking from either.  So we take 'proper' glasses and crockery when we go away.

But all these items are heavy, and need to be well protected whilst travelling, so my solution is to wrap everything in a generous quantity of tea towels and travel the whole lot in a tub in the car.  When we arrive on site we put the plates and glasses in a cupboard and have an empty Really Useful Tub until it is time to go home.



But Really Useful Tubs are really useful, and this one is just the right size to act as a half-way step for Daisy to get up to her bed.



But the tub is plastic and the top is slippery if you have claws and hairy feet, and a towel laid over the top of the box doesn't stay put.

So what's a Mum to do but take advantage of terrible wind and rain that kept everyone indoors at the weekend and make a foam cushion to fit on the top of the box, and a quilted cover to go over the whole lot?



Going Up:





Whilst in an elevated position take the opportunity to have a good shout at someone walking innocently along the pavement:



And Coming Down:





It looks nice in the caravan, the padding means I don't catch my shins on the edges of the tub, and it will double as an additional seat should we ever need one.  Oh, and like all other quilted items in this house, it can be slung in the washing machine when a Certain Hairy Paws doesn't wipe her feet on the way in.







22 comments:

  1. That is a great idea. I need to make one for my little 12 pound dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things we do! Actually it's a great idea. I had an outside step 'fashioned' from some old decking when my old dog was struggling. Just like when people age, we make adjustments. Oh, and innocent people do need barking at occasionally. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. I know this is just the beginning, sadly, the next thing will be helping her into the car.

      With Ollie (our elderly Beardie) half the house was configured to help him, including removing a step between rooms and replacing it with a ramp:
      http://theviewfrombagend.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/when-you-love-somebody.html

      Delete
  3. Well done on making her step so pretty, plus functional. We all slow down Daisy, so take heart, as our back steps are being made wider so our whole foot is on a tread, as we aren't as steady as before. Although we've not had a dog since we had one stolen many years ago, our cats over the years always had lots of help as they aged too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, step treads that are the wrong size are an accident waiting to happen. Hope the job is finished soon.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, practical and pretty too. I'm sure Daisy appreciates it and loves you for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eunice, the daft things we do for our pets ...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, now you can see why I quilted that lovely green pieced top "just" to cut it up!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cheers Sue, I am sure you would do the same for Tivvy

      Delete
    2. Tivvy just puts her front paws up on something and does little jumps like I used to do when I was expected to leap into a vaulting horse when at school. She then gives the look that says lift me up. It works!

      Delete
  7. Ah! now all the cutting up of the lovely quilt makes sense - what a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a fully quilted cover is slightly over-the-top but Daisy and I like it :)
      More cutting today, I've been in "cushion mode" 😊

      Delete
  8. Great solution. Have you seen the dog concept X Trail? Love the ramp stowage idea and trying to get John to get one for the cars too! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3pBdivA8WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just too cool, I want a car like that!!

      As for the ramp, I still have the one we used for Ollie and come the day that Daisy needs it then it will just sit in the bootspace when not being used (perhaps I should mention that our dogs never travel in the boot but on the back seat - I was once very badly rear-ended when stationary and if I'd had a dog in the boot the thought of what injuries might have be inflicted just does not bear thinking about).

      Delete
    2. Drat - that should read "have been inflicted .... "

      Delete
  9. Looks great, what a fab solution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sol, and welcome to Bag End 🙂 I know I am daft with Daisy, but I don't know how to look after a dog any other way . . .

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}