Sunday, 19 February 2017

There goes another week

For no reason that I can currently discern I am really struggling to keep the blog going at present.  But I'm going to slog on because not blogging, having gaps in the story and a huge backlog is worse . . . .

Everything is absolutely fine at Bag End and I am (as usual) busier-than-a-busy-thing, and last week went by at the rate of knots. LP came for half a day on Tuesday and all day Friday.  During that time we finished the raised beds on the patio (or rather LP did the carpentry and then moved barrow after barrow of soil from the big heap that's been under a blue tarp for ages). In the interests of planting clematis nice and deep, I put plants in as we filled with soil, including a huge "Geurnsey Cream" that was moved from the large side bed.  We've got new plans for that area so it was a good opportunity to move a plant and get it back in the ground within minutes.   "All" I have to do now is finish planting.







Also fitted in was filling large pots with homemade compost for me so they're ready and available when I have time (and/or inclination) to continue working on that side bed.



LP also hacked out a huge clump of flag iris which had invaded a bed next to the Big Pond, and then spent the end of the day cutting up a pile of leftover timber which was waiting to be added to the Log Store.  The words don't make it sound much but it was a really good start to the new season and I ended the week feeling quite cheery about the garden.

Indoors I spent a lot of time with fabric.  I've been struggling to make progress on the floral quilt; tried a few different ideas for what came after the green triangles, settled on just a mix of florals.  After spending hours sewing squares into pairs and arranging them on the design boards I ended up packing all of it into a tub and putting it away.  I don't love this quilt anymore, not sure I even like it and there are not enough hours in the day to spend them on something I am not pleased with.








What I was pleased with, however, was spending two days with the longarm machine and quilting the random green top, and a small blue quilt that has been hanging around for years.  The green one came out brilliantly, the blue not so much - changing to a different quilting thread and a brushed cotton back did not please Molly the Millennium and the back is fairly ropey.  But, after binding and a wash it should look a lot better and neither Management or Daisy are going to point out the faults to me.





Unfortunately this success has generated new enthusiasm for quilting up some of the pieced top backlog, a time consuming activity and I am not quite sure how I get to fit it in at present!






8 comments:

  1. I think we all go through blogging hiccups - after all, we're not "published" authors, we're only normal everyday people sharing our lives via the written word, and, as such, the only "recognition" we get is from those commenting on our blogs. That is why I love comments - they tell me if I hit the spot or not... If I don't hit the spot, and get only a few comments - well, I console myself that you can't please all the people all the time :D

    Love the clematis bed by the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, my lack of enthusiasm at present is, I think, just pressure of too many other things calling for my time.
      But I agree with you about comments, they are lovely and can leave to all sorts of unexpected synchronicity. Susan who comments below has visited Bag End twice now, and she lives in Oz! We could never have met without our blogs bringing us together.

      Delete
  2. Something tells me I'm going to be envious when you clemmies are up and thriving. I'll be lucky if mine come up. Somehow, those things just elude my growing efforts. We'll see. After all, looks like spring is arriving here at least a month early. You could tuck that Millennium in your pocket and hop on over to my house. I've got 6 quilts/backings all ready to go with 3 more to be readied today. Hmmmm.....now that I think it, would cost me as much to get you here as it'll cost to have these all done anyway. But.....I'd get a nice visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, as I said to Susan (below), I'll try to get lots of clematis photos this year so you're not completely missing out.
      Thanks for the invite and I would love to take you up on it sometime, but I don't think Daisy would appreciate my absence. Bedtime here now, but tomorrow I will email you directly with a suggestion about the quilts :)

      Delete
  3. OK, I have raised bed envy & if I had a good spot for clematis, I'd put some in too, but I think this yard is just way hot in summer with no shade at all. What will go in all those pots? The quilts look "great" & thanks for my comment too on quilting. I use the same brand of cotton all the time as I hate touching the tension discs. Wish they had numbers on them like ordinary sewing machines, as it would be much easier to remember the right tension for different threads. I've an idea (probably silly one) for the cream/green one, but it may be too wacky, so I'll email over the weekend. Have a great weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I will try to ensure there are plenty of clematis pictures so you can enjoy them vicariously.

      The tubs are filled with homemade compost - they are not too large & heavy to lift.

      I agree with you about longarm tension, I have a nail varnish mark on my dial so I know roughly what I'm doing. Normally I only use 100% cotton thread but on this occasion I caved and used a polycotton because it was exactly the right colour .... I should have known better.

      Delete
  4. Ending a week feeling cheery about the garden is good news. Sounds like you've had better weather than us though, I've only had one day outside sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In respect of "Storm Doris" then yes, we have been virtually untouched, but I am behind with the blog (again!) and this account is actually last week - sorry :)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}