Sunday, 5 February 2017

Baby steps

It's been baby steps in the garden this week.  Finally got to the Bulb Box of Shame and found that most of the Rannunculus bulbs were going a bit mouldy . . . so I put them on the ground anyway and covered them with two inches of compost and a layer of leaves.  They will either grow or not, and the mulch was going down anyway.



and it looks like I forgot to take any photographs so here's a couple of the view instead😀😀





It is lovely to finally have something finished and the bulb bed can just "do it's own thing" until I am ready to move the Lonicera nitidia from the New Garden and use it as a 'pretend box' border along the back.

I had another session outside on Thursday and in just 1½ hours managed to trim the bottom of the hawthorn hedge which runs around our front boundary on the other side of the gates to the willow fedge/daffodil bed.  The picture doesn't do the bed justice, it really does look quite smart now :)



There's a plan behind all this - if I move all the hardy gerenium from the Lasagne Bed where it is trying to takeover the entire universe and replant it here I'll have (nearly) weedproof groundcover and lovely pink flowers twice a year.  Unfortunately Plan has always been a Four-Letter-Word at Bag End, but I'm trying to reverse that trend, wish me luck 😊









12 comments:

  1. You have been busy & I can't wait to see that bulb bed in flower and if you don't take pics, hmmm, not sure what I'll say. Love the scenic shots, but then you knew I would. Take care & don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much. It is "baby steps" all the way at present, just a little at a time :) More managable that way.

      Delete
  2. We also use lonicera nitidia as pretend box, the downfall being the regular clipping it requires! We've managed some gardening this last weekend, our dear neglected little patch (for several reasons) is finally looking a little more kempt - I shall plug on with it - need to return it to its 'former glory'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kate, even though it's been a fairly dry and 'decent' winter, it is still hard to find the time when conditions are right to get outside. Look foward to seeing photos :)

      Delete
  3. Sshhhh....nobody needs to know about the bulbs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but I will always know .... but they were very cheap and even if just a couple come up it will be better than nothing.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful views Jayne. I enjoy seeing photographs of your garden too but the language throws me completely. I am not green fingered, so am totally lost with the plant names. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, I am sorry if we are 'speaking in tongues'. Absolutely any time you want me to explain something in more detail please say so - I'd be delighted to translate/decipher :)

      Delete
  5. I'm hoping to introduce the word "plan" into our gardening this year. Actually I'm hoping to introduce the word "gardening" into the random digging and planting events that happen outside the house!

    Great photos as ever, looks like you've had some cracking weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well good luck with that, I do hope that "Plan" doesn't become a four-letter-word in your garden!

      Delete
  6. Great photos, I love the clouds sitting in top of the hill :)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}