Sunday, 29 January 2017

That was fun

Last summer/autumn we deliberately did not spend time refilling the log store, it's been a couple of years since we saw the back of it and decided to wait until at least one side was empty.  Well, that time had come and fortunately Sunday was dry and bright enough for Management and I to get outside and have a brilliant session with the log splitter.

Despite having the biggest wood pile imaginable opposite the greenhouse we decided to tackle to smaller pile which LP built next to the shed.  There's a long-term plan to relocate my cold frames so they are in a sunnier location, and to achieve this we need to shift a lot of timber . . .



We started uncovering the pile at 10.50, deciding to focus only on the large discs which did not require further chainsawing






and by 1.30 we were cleared up.  No accidents, no mishaps and a decent quantity of logs.  When LP is back, which should be in a couple of weeks, he can help with chainsawing the rest of the stack which he thoroughly enjoys.




It's childish (and slightly dangerous if you are daft enough to stand in the wrong place) but the best bit of splitting logs is when you have a really dry lump of wood without cross-grain that breaks cleanly and quickly, almost explosively 😀 .




Management is really good at working out what orientation to position each lump of wood to give the splitter the best chance of succeeding.  I just drive the two 'on' switches.








10 comments:

  1. It must be a satisfying feeling to have a full store of logs. I'm really hoping we get to have a log burner when we eventually move house. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, it is a lovely feeling - very primitive and - as you quite rightly say - extremely satisfying.
      When we came here there were absolutely no plans to have a wood stove. Once we saw just how much timber we had from felling the leylandii the decision sort of made itself. Now I cannot conceive of living without one - it is the very heart of our home for us all.
      I do hope you get one in your next home, x

      Delete
  2. Your wood store is a thing of desire. ... It would have my other half dancing with happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've been known to immitate a merry jig or something when it is completely full!
      There is something deeply satisfying about seeing all that fuel ready to keep us warm in the coming months.

      Delete
  3. Job well done & ready for any upcoming cold days & next winter. I used to handsplit our wood back in the 80's when we had a fuel stove for both cooking & heating our water. I still miss it today. Best way to cook, though I suppose not convenient as gas or electric. Those were the days!!!! Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I handsplit a lot in our 'early days' which probably contributed to the subsequent shoulder problems. The electric powered splitter is now one of my favourite garden 'toys'!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was Sue, and we both had sore shoulders the following day to prove it :)

      Delete
  5. I've just watched your little video three times and the way that first lump split made me laugh each time. It's just the sort of daft thing that really amuses me, and also a job I would enjoy doing if I had the opportunity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice, they don't all explode like that, but it always makes us laugh when they do. You learn very quickly where NOT to stand when doing this :)

      There is other video but the files are too large to upload to Blogger and I haven't the time or skill to edit them, sorry.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}