Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Spur of the moment

When I got back from errands in Cockermouth on Wednesday morning I was 'caught' by a neighbour who I try to avoid because she often goes into 'campaign mode' on various issues and I do not want to get involved.  She TOLD me that at the weekend I was going to help her do bla bla bla bla bla.  Saying "no" just does not work . . . sigh 😠.  Believe me, I have tried.  I rather over-reacted and told her I wouldn't be doing anything of the sort because we were going away.  Which meant I HAD to find a caravan site in a hurry and book it! Fortunately Management is endlessly supportive when I get myself into spots like this 😀

So Wednesday I drop myself into a hole, Thursday I booked a site, and Friday was spent doing a quick bit of shopping and packing our lovely Rosie.

On Saturday morning we got away just after 11.00am and in less than two hours we were pulling onto a pitch at the gloriously deserted Camping & Caravan Club site in Moffat.  Out of 180 possible pitches (I think that number includes grass space for tents) there were no more than 20 occupied vans and by Monday that had dropped to a dozen.





We're starting to feel considerably more confident and competent these days - it had taken a surprisingly short amount of time to get loaded and hitched on Saturday, and even less time to set up on site and have something to eat.   We all needed a walk and as the weather was grey and chilly the decision was made to stroll around Moffat itself before the light went - what an excellent choice.  We both fell in love with the town, reminded me very much of Cockermouth with its wide street and Georgian buildings, but it had a very Scottish feel to it as well.  If we like the place so much on a cold damp weekend at the beginning of January then we definitely need to return later in the year.









Although I am constantly trying to pare down 'stuff' and unnecessary possessions, I fell in love with a half-price Christmas decoration in the delightful Manse Interiors, definitely a place to return to.  So utterly stinkin' cute I cannot possibly put it away until December . . . for now it will sit on top of the dresser until I find a better place to enjoy it.



A VERY slow start on Sunday meant it was well past midday before we went out 'properly'.  Despite low cloud it wasn't as bad as the pictures imply.  Management kindly drove us up to the Grey Mare's Tail waterfall where we were lucky enough to see one of the peregrine falcons which hunt there. 









At St Mary's Loch we took a very narrow road up into the hills past Megget and Talla reservoirs.  That was gorgeous - completely deserted and lovely scenery.  The boot of M's car took on a very "British roadside picnic' look when we stopped for a quick cuppa and a bun!







Management went home Sunday night (only took him a litle over an hour) so Her Ladyship was able to stretch out on the other sofa - not that she is exactly short of places to relax in the van. 





If only she wasn't such a messy eater 😊



On Monday I spent the whole day relaxing and blethering with a cousin who lives about an hour from Moffat, and whom I see very rarely.  Annie brought her delightful little Bedlington (Lottie) who was as good as gold all day and extremely cuddly 🐶



Daisy was not so convinced . . .



The original plan had been to stay until Wednesday.  Once I looked at the weather forecast (thank goodness I took the TP-Link and had a good mobile wifi signal) plans changed . . .thanks to The Met Office and screenshots from the iPad:-



It would have been insane to tow a caravan in those sort of winds, and it's not as if I HAD to stay any longer.  Tuesday's forecast looked much better so I packed up early the following day and left by 11.30.



Got home safely in 1 hour 45, but it was still wetter and windier than I expected.  Never mind, we got back safely and that's what matters.

It was a  lovely little break;  not as calm and relaxing as usual because I was doing something each day but I'm delighted to have got away in the caravan so early in the year, even if it was a spur of the moment running-away-and-hiding exercise.  I guess the nuisance neighbour did me a favour after all!  There is now loads of laundry to be tackled and a completely filthy caravan and car to be washed ... but none of that is happening today.





18 comments:

  1. She did do you a favour after all. What a lovely and spontaneous break away. Moffat looks like a sweet place to visit, I've only ever driven through. Love the decoration, it seems made for the dresser.
    I'm pleased you all returned home safe and sound. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. Our neighbour is a decent person with a very good heart but sometimes she gets a bit too . . . enthusiastic. She certainly did us a favour and I can recommend stopping at Moffat rather than carrying on.

      Delete
  2. I love impromptu breaks like that, I think they often turn out to be nicer than planned ones. The Moffat C & CC site looks nice; I should have stayed there back in 2013 on my way back from the Highlands but by the time I'd got to Loch Lomond I was too tired to drive much further so changed my booking and stayed at the Luss site where I'd stayed a week or so previously. That's a nice site with some lovely views across the loch, if you've never been I can recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Eunice, always good to know which are the nice sites. We definitely want to take the caravan up to Scotland more often, so who knows, might make it to Luss :)

      Delete
    2. The only downside to the Luss site, if you can call it that, is that the very busy A82 runs right past it so there's constant traffic noise, but even though I'm a light sleeper and was in a tent it didn't bother me, so in a caravan you probably wouldn't notice it too much. Anyway, the location and the views more than make up for it - Luss is a lovely little village too, and you can do boat trips from there to various other parts of the loch.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that Eunice. I did have a look at the website this morning and you cannot help but notice just how close to the A82 it is. However, that could be a distinct advantage - I was thinking it would be a great one night stop-over on the way to the West Highlands :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you using the caravan even in winter. I like the look of Moffat and it's interesting buildings and a couple of the pics of the countryside are gorgeous. You'll have to teach Daisy better eating habits. Must be like having messy child. Glad to hear you enjoyed your company, then tackled the journey home before the worst of the weather. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan :) the email was fun on Sunday, wasn't it 😀 No chance of improving Daisy's eating habits - one of the reasons I have to vacuum once or twice every day!

      Delete
  4. Often the spur of the moment getaways give so much more than you expect! Well done :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right - no pre-set expectations so everything is a bonus!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely break Jayne and so early in the year too. Moffat looks nice I had to look at the map to see where it was :-) I bet it's snowy there now, we woke up to snow this morning! Pleased you made it home safely before the weather changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, we were delighted to be away so early in the year. I can see snow on the hills today but none at Bag End (as usual)

      Delete
  6. Looks fab, we stayed in Moffat many years ago and liked it too. I like the way M takes up the car so you still have transport. And that little decoration looks perfect where it is! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda :) M. ~had~ to bring his car in order to go home on Sunday - work beckons :(

      Delete
  7. Talk about extreme avoidance tactics. If the wind Wednesday was as bad as here then you definitely did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Sue - quite extreme but sometimes that is what's needed! I'm rather glad though - it is always lovely to be away in the caravan. Yes, it was rather nasty on Wednesday, definitely came home on the right day.

      Delete
  8. We always stay one night at Moffat when we come south in the motor home. We have 3 dogs so we like to do the trip in short hops - less stressful for all of us :-) Don't laugh - it takes us 5 days to meander from Orkney to Stoke-on-Trent!
    I love the little Park in Moffat and over the road there's a smashing river walk which leads to an enormous dog-friendly playing field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda, lovely to hear from you again. Five days from your wonderful island to the Midlands seems quite reasonable to me!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}