Tuesday, 17 January 2017

No View from Bag End

What a dreary day; cloud so low that although it has not been raining you get wet from all the moisture in the air.   Absolutely no views from Bag End today 😉



Rather than grumble about it I've had a thoroughly satisfying 'indoors day'.  After walking Her Ladyship I got busy with the sewing machine and finished three covered pads for the caravan.  One is to fit a gap between a bulkhead and Daisy's bed where gloves have a nasty habit of disappearing.



The next fills an irritating gap at the end of the nearside mattress.  I get what Bailey have done - the two single beds are different lengths but they have provided identical mattresses, hence a space which was annoying me . . . space no more.



The third pad goes under my pillows.  The surprisingly comfortable 8" thick mattress is higher than the framing at the end of the mattress area which means that pillows have an alarming habit of sloping backwards in a way that my neck doesn't like at all.  A folded towel has sufficed up to now but making a little pad is better.



I was reminded how much I dislike sewing which relates to three-dimensional soft furnishings and why I love making nice flat patchwork quilts! The fitted sheets for the caravan are probably the only ever exception:



(just noticed how horrible one of the cushions which came with the 'van looks - we don't do "shiny fabric" so that's an incentive to make some new covers, not sure why it is in Daisy's bed though?)

It always seems such an indulgent luxury to light the woodburner before it gets dark, and Daisy never minds a few extra hours of laying in front of the fire although she does feel the need to "make a point" when her bed is TEMPORARILY moved so I can vaccuum.



A bit of afternoon telly (yes, another episode of Doc Martin) whilst I caught up with the ironing.



I made one of our bulk casseroles, (Pork, Apple and Mushroom) which gave us 14 portions for the freezer and a lovely supper for tonight, and today was the turn of a huge pot of Steak & Kidney.  The house was smelling wonderful by late afternoon.



And then more sewing.  Lots of very similar green fabrics cut into 2½" strips and sewn back together, firstly in pairs, then fours, and so on until I have a a very, very long strip.   This is my version of the "Jelly Roll Race" quilts that have become so popular in recent years but I prefer my end result with much shorter segments.  Once quilted the fabric is destined to be cut up for caravan projects so I need to get a hurry-up.










8 comments:

  1. A very productive day Jayne,and I just love the bed under the sewing table. I could quite happily curl up in there myself.
    It looks like you're getting the caravan fitted out perfectly for yourselves and doing a great job of it too.
    It has been rotten damp weather here too. I have been stuck indoors recently for longer than I care to think about but unfortunately all I have achieved is finishing a pair of socks and made some wrist warmers with the leftover wool.
    Hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, hope you are feeling better soon. In my world, knitting socks and wrist warmers is a huge achievement, you're being too hard on yourself :)

      Delete
  2. Industrious Jayne. Well done & you've certainly taken advantage of a miserable weather day. Wonder why they left all the gaps in the caravan? Must take pics of ours inside for you. I'm actually back into my sewing after a drought & will spend time today on the big & little machines as well as doing all the linen, go to an appointment, have a friend visiting, and, all the mundane housework. May make time for an ISD call tonight too, around 8pm. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, the "gaps" are all quite logical from a 'keeping production costs to a minimum" point of view, and probably only someone as daft as me would do anything about them! Thank you for the phone call, it was so lovely to have a little catch up😊

      Delete
  3. I love the number of beds Daisy has stashed around the caravan and house! You look to have had quite a busy day too ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah . . . "bed stash". . . now there's an inspiration for a future blog post ⁉️ 🐾 🐾

      Delete
  4. Maybe Daisy does shiny. The nest under the sewing table looks like a TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy does "anything soft and comfy" - I don't think she really notices shiny or not 😀

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}