Monday, 23 January 2017

A week of extremes

Last week turned out to be a particularly busy one, and looking back nearly everything was done on a rather large scale.

I spent a lot of time piecing the 'random quilt top'.  Quite deliberately I was making this one much, much larger than on previous occasions but there were times when I thought the sewing would never end.  When I finally had all the 2½" strips sewn together the resulting long, long, long strip measured 2,360 inches, or 60.5 metres in new money.  The very first huge seam took forever - and an entire bobbin of bottom thread.



Thankfully once you're past the first couple of massive seams things go much quicker and it wasn't long before the top was declared completed at 71"  x  65".






I want to get this quilted up as quickly as possible - nothing fancy, probably just a freehand stipple - because the piece is destined to be cut up for cushion covers, et al, for the caravan.


Not content with an extremely large pot of Pork & Apple Casserole, we followed this up with a massive Steak & Kidney, so that's another 16 portions in the freezer.


Another 'extreme' which I've finally made a start on is my huge collection of quilt magazines, some of which go back 20 years.   I realised last year that I have barely looked at any of them since we paid Pickfords a small fortune to haul them from Hampshire to Bag End and the awful truth is that if I haven't looked at something in 9½ years am I ever going to?



An entire shelf distilled down to this small pile.  There's one article in each of these that I want to keep, so I'm going to scan the relevant pages, save them as a PDF and bin the paper.  It has been interesting to see how quilting has changed over the last couple of decades and also how much my tastes and interests have moved on.



There are an awful lot more shelves to go through before I've finished 😒





10 comments:

  1. I know you have planned to cut up your 'fabric' that you created, but does that not go against all the work you have put into making a large piece only to then cut it up? I winced at the thought when you went on to mention it was destined for cushions etc - beautiful colours - made me think of water and shady river edges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry to cause wincing on a Monday morning! Yes, I acknowledge it could be conceived as utterly bonkers to take good yardage, cut it up, sew it back together again, and then CUT IT UP AGAIN! But it gives me the effect I want . . . and you've given me the inspiration for yet another blog post :) thank you 🙂

      Delete
  2. I'm on the same mission with magazines, scanning through them and ripping out any pages of interest before dumping the rest. Most of it is interior design stuff but I'm so glad I kept it all. I found several good ideas for the cottage even in issues that were years old.
    Pickfords did well out of us too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, and welcome back - I tried to leave a comment on your blog a couple of days ago but Wordpress and I weren't playing nicely together 😟 Hope your holiday has revitalised you ready for whatever you tackle next at the cottage.

      Delete
  3. You freezer must ne massive. We gave up on magazines ages ago when we found we were subscribing iut of habit and never really getting round to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two freezers Sue, and if I could work out where to conveniently site another, we'd have three

      Delete
  4. I love those greens - inspiration for a quilt for my bed - I won't be cutting it up!;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, lovely to hear from you - hope things are going well.

      Delete
  5. Love to see so many bulbs up in your last post & a big task accomplished in a short time. Well done. I didn't wince with the cutting part, but did think I'd probably have made the cushions separately, but easy with just doing back & front all as one & a button closing flap.(giggle). It's been a wacky week here both weather wise & being busy, but not knowing what I've really been doing. I have big magazine culls every couple of years, but still have way too many & kept articles filed away. That's just me & I now live with who I am!!! Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I did construct the cushions individually, just using quilted fabric instead of regular material. Your weather (Melbourne specifically) even got a mention on the TV news here a couple of days ago.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}