Sunday, 8 January 2017

This week in the garden, 1

(I'm sort of talking to myself here, if it gets even more rambly and incoherrent than usual feel free to ignore me!)

By the end of 2016 I was feeling thoroughly cheesed off with the garden.  A combination of three recurring problems had left me feeling that I was never going to get on top of the space, and wondering why on earth I bothered in the first place.  The three problems are:

The weather - I start a job, run out of time to finish and don't get back to it for weeks because of the weather,

LP - he is often not available when I want/need him, and then wants to work on days which don't suit me,

Me - I do not always have enough energy to get outside and make some progress even if the weather is co-operating.

Well, I can't solve the first problem but I can do something about the other two.  Firstly be more assertive with LP and not allow him to dictate the schedule, in fact, I started on that a couple of months ago and I think LP was shocked . . . but so far it has worked out OK.  The second problem - well, thanks to endless support from Management I think we have both the shoulder and blood glucose problems under control.  I've got more energy and less pain and, now that I'm sewing again, if I cannot get outside to work in the garden then (whooppee!) "it's a sewing day"!

I did absolutely nothing outside over the Christmas holidays, just occasionally looked at the garden with a depressed feeling of "oh heck, so much to do".




All those years ago starting this blog worked out well as a way of keeping track of our progress so I can use the same device to remind myself just how much I DO get done!  Until I get bored with the idea I'll make a little note for myself each week of just what has been accomplished.

So, with no more delays . . . this week I've had three short sessions outside, each of less than an hour, and completely cut back the willow fedge next to the pavement.  Seeing as it is over 25 metres long that's quite an achievement for the first week of the new year!










8 comments:

  1. I think it is a good idea to concentrate on what you have done rather than what you need to do. You will never come to the end of the list of jobs in the garden. Gardening doesn't work like that. Just enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. You are absolutely right that we never come to the end of garden tasks. If I focus on what we do achieve then I will enjoy it far more - thanks for the nice words to help reboot the mindset :)

      Delete
  2. Wow what a difference! Don't over do it, you have all year! Besides Daisy needs her walks too ☺xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks m'dear 🙂 It was fairly easy (the first day I only did just over half an hour) and don't worry, Daisy's needs are always seen to first!

      Delete
  3. I'm with Kate, on the "don't overdo it". My problems are sometimes similar to yours, especially in summer, when I run out of energy due to the heat (knocks me around something terrible). Weather certainly plays a crucial part here & as you say, when it is nice, sometimes we have other commitments, & I look at my garden & just don't know why the other people planned it that way & we haven't the resources to change much, unless it is a vital issue. I certainly don't have an LP to keep organised. One male is enough!!!! Crafting helps our minds settle & concentrate on what we are doing in the now, so good to see you sewing again. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, I think you are affected by the weather just as much as me, but in different ways. You manage to organise one male?. Really? Do let me know how . . .
      You're right about the sewing though, the sessions I had over Christmas left me feeling very chilled and happy with the way things were 🙂

      Delete
  4. Feels good to make a bit of progress in the garden but everything is so wet at the moment. I have had a couple of sessions outside cutting back hellebores and deciduous ferns so I can see the snowdrops but didn't linger as my hands get so cold among wet leaves and foliage. Is LP not moving away now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, you're further along than me by the sound of it. LP still plans to move and has his house on the market but no takers yet.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}