Monday, 19 December 2016

You can run, but you really cannot hide

There is no getting away from the fact that we are well and truly in the middle of the silly season, and that Christmas is approaching at the speed of an out-of-control Hogwarts locomotive whether I am ready or not.  It is not that I am a Scrooge, but without small children shrieking excitedly (do they still do that anymore, or is it all quiet apart from the bleeps and buzzes from the latest iDevice that all six-years olds HAVE to possess) or a host of much-loved relatives crowding around a far too small and wobbly dining table, I cannot help but ask myself "why?"   I remember as a child, Christmas was hugely exciting because it was almost the only time new things got bought. Now, with 365/24/7 shopping and instant-everything, unless you have a strong Christian faith, what's the point?

I have no family except for a couple of distant cousins who are lovely, lovely people, but they are stretched to the limit with their own families and commitments so we never see each other.  Management has more relatives but they don't want Daisy in their houses (they didn't want Ollie either, some folk just ain't 'dog people') and we don't care for the drinking and sitting around which occupies much of their free time.

There is a huge upside to all this:  we get to stay in our own home, we eat what we want when we want it, we can go for walks in the most beautiful National Park in England, we can chill out and play with our hobbies.  We do not have to sit on crowded motorways, endure sleepless nights on badly sprung guest-bed mattresses, and we don't spend a huge amount of money!  In fact, now I've written all this down I am feeling far less bah-Humbug and I might even be looking forward to Management's ten-day break from work which will give us both a much-needed chance to catch our breath after another busy year.

Certainly making an effort and putting all our beautiful decorations out has made a difference, particularly as this year we can use the newly painted dresser to showcase my collection of Jim Shore santas and snowmen.   Pats self on back - it looks rather lovely πŸ˜‰πŸŽ„.

 









It is not like me to put lights outside, but these are for the little girls who live in the house behind us.



Even the kitchen has been decorated, and why not - I spend long enough in thereπŸ˜€



I managed to get out early on Sunday morning and was at the supermarket for 9.30 and ready to go through the checkout five minutes after they officially opened at 10.00. That little jaunt resulted in full cupboards and a rather well-stocked freezer, so all I have to do is get fresh veggies in a few days time and we're sorted. Completing that task, and being able to sit down and enjoy looking at the decorations has left me feeling surprisingly holiday-like. Goodness knows what's come over me!




12 comments:

  1. It all looks absolutely beautiful Jayne. Couldn't be further away from Bah Humbug! if you tried. What a thoughtful idea to put the lights up outside for the enjoyment of the little girls. Our Christmas celebrations are reasonably reserved too. In fact, I'm now worrying that I'm not worrying about something. Ah well, we have Booths..all will be well. I hope you and Management and Daisy enjoy some much needed time off together. X πŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules, what a lovely and thoughtful comment :) If I had realised how much our little neighbours enjoyed seeing the lights I would have made more effort - perhaps next year :)

      Don't go looking for stuff to worry about, enjoy your time together and creating memories for Lily. Hope her awful cough cleared up :)

      Delete
  2. Looks fabulous & you've done more than me. I've not even put up the tree "again", this year, as we don't have anyone call in, as the boys are both interstate and of course hubby's family are in UK. We need to go to DD's on the day, as S-i-L is working Boxing Day early. I did put up my Xmas wreath & a few little bits. I miss the decorating the tree, as I've some gorgeous, very sentimental bits 'n' bobs. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I felt the saem as you - what was the point of spending a couple of days putting out decorations when hardly anyone visits. BUT, I made the effort and am so glad I did - it gives me pleasure to see the display every time I walk in the sitting room and although he doesn't say much, I know Management likes it too.

      If you miss decorating your tree then take an afternoon off and get on with it - you might be pleased you did, especially as you have some lovely sentimental pieces.

      Delete
  3. You seem to be in much the same position as us but far more decorated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I don't always decorate this much - last year it was the tree with about half the hangy bits and nothing else . . .

      Delete
  4. your Christmas at home sounds lovely, and your decorations are so pretty. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Tess :) I think I have finally worked out that Christmas can be anything I/we want it to be . . . whatever that is :)

      Delete
  5. totally agree with Jules' comment. Very beautiful, very festive, and not even remotely bah humbug! You know how to keep Christmas, that's obvious to see.

    I'm with you on a quiet Christmas. It's just the three of us, the festive shop is done in with the normal weekly shop, and somehow, I managed to do it and spend less than I normally do. So no going berserk here! Just as well, as Violet is currently being sick, and has on and off all day. Very glad I'm not having to deal with that and get ready for an invasion of relatives!

    Enjoy your peaceful Christmas, keep safe and warm in all the stormy weather that's meant to hit.

    Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadie, lovely words, much appreciated :)

      Hope Violet is soon feeling better and that despite her lurgy she is still able to enjoy all the lovely things you have prepared for the holidays.

      Delete
  6. Happy Christmas to you all Jayne ,,, enjoy the beauty and peace around you although it could be a little stormy this weekend. Stay warm and safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. Hope whatever the holidays bring to you is calm and comforting. Staying warm and safe applies to you too, xx

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}