Friday, 23 December 2016

What does Christmas look like?

Everyone's  Christmas looks different.  This week I have spent much longer than usual at my neighbours house.  On Monday their daughter had to have unexpected surgery and with Mum at hospital in Carlisle and Dad in Euston trying to get a train home, there was no-one to care for their dogs.  I spent a fair bit of time walking two unruly but lovable hounds, and just sitting in the lounge with them for company. Their Christmas looked like it would be fairly jolly (hospital trips notwithstanding), a MASSIVE pile of wrapped presents under, around and in front of the tree and the contents of half an off-licence stacked up in the kitchen.

Later, some of the off-licence haul was delivered here as a 'thank you'.  I have already started enjoying it, and providing I only have a tiny glass with food it doesn't seem to screw up my bloog sugar levels. 🍷



Our Christmas looks rather more restrained 😀   Going shopping yesterday was absolutely the right thing to do.  Miraculously I picked the lunchtime lull when the roads were deserted and the shops really quiet although check-out staff told me it had been manic earlier.   Morrisons excelled themselves with more than a dozen different varieties of English apples - but no Spartan.



An impulse stop at Aldi on the way home paid dividends!   They had nearly as many varieties as Booths (but I couldn't sneak a picture of it all) and hidden behind an innocuous shelf ticket which simply read "English apples" were Spartan.  They're lovely, although a bit small and not really as nice as the homegrown ones but better than nothing 🍎





Our 'Christmas shopping' such as it is has been fitted into the normal weekly trek for groceries, so this was more of a topping up to ensure that, unless I want to, I do not have to go out apart from dog-walks.



There is another fridge full of vegetables, and more than enough meat and fish in the freezer to see us through this holiday and probably the next couple.  I never ever take for granted how fortunate we are to have all this to hand.



So our Christmas now looks like a full fridge, a peaceful house, and a dog who really does not want to venture out into the tail end of Storm Barbara any more than she has to.  On our late morning walk I recorded over 30mph winds within sight of Bag End, I feel for anyone on the western Scottish islands this week.







Despite having had four safe and secure years with us, Daisy still gets unsettled at night if it is wet and windy.  She will happily go into her own cosy bed which she needs to be as cave-like as possible (including heated pad on a timer!) but around midnight I'll hear her get up and start whining quietly, an anxious little cry that I cannot ignore.



She's invited up on the human bed, covered with a quilt, and tends not to move a muscle until the following day.  I made Daisy a promise when she came to us that she would never, ever be scared or cold whilst under my care; I hope I haven't broken it yet and that I never will.

Madam does not care to get up early at this time of year - well past 9.00 this morning she was still happily nesting  and snuggled in quilty warmth.



Daisy thinks Christmas looks like a yummy lunch in front of the woodburner, I'm usually secretly pleased when bad weather means I can justify lighting the fire even earlier in the day than usual.  Today it was 1.00pm!



What does your Christmas look like?









20 comments:

  1. Nipping in to wish you a Merry Christmas.

    I blame no-one Man nor beast for relaxing that bit longer under a quilt at the moment!

    Nothing festive to share here, I'm a "just get through it" girl, but I love hearing from those who do enjoy this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hapy holidays back to you :)

      There are days when I'd like to stay under a quilt too, but a Certain Four Legs needs walking and I don't think the neighbours would appreciate me wandering around in my dressing gown :)

      Delete
  2. I'm very pleased you managed to find your apples.
    Our Christmas is much the same, quiet with some extra indulgences. A roast dinner, a walk if weather permits and a brief call in to see family on Christmas day. Hopefully lots of playing with toys.
    Daisy is looking very well looked after. I usually get a Lily creeping into my bed in the middle of the night. I don't mind either.
    Merry Christmas Jayne. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas to you too Jules. The apples are lovely with a chunk of cheese :)

      Management once described our Christmas as "an extended holiday with some nice meals" and I think that sums it up. Hope the current changeable weather allows you to get out for a walk. Currently CHUCKING it down again here but Daisy and I are crashed out in front of the woodburner.

      Delete
  3. With RMan's German roots we celebrate on Christmas Eve. Merry, Merry from our home to yours 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani, Blessings back to you :). Years ago when M and I still bothered with presents we used to open them on Christmas Eve too, it was very civilised :)

      Delete
  4. We have a gray, dreary day here today. Even a bit of drizzly rain coming down, although its not cold outside. But it is enough that occasionally I need to turn the fireplace on to take the chill off and that's a lovely thing.

    Merry Christmas, Jayne, to you and Management and Miss Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I hope your lovely sewing den was a warm haven on a dull day. Hope you have a peaceful and relaxing holidays. X

      Delete
  5. I think you indulge in the festive side more than we do, but it is hot here for Christmas & not really weather for lots of heavy food. We are off to DD's this morning & won't venture home till dark, out of the heat. Our backyard weather station got to 40.8 yesterday,(weatherman said 36 for our area last night), although we've very little shade here. Supposed to be about the same today, so will be inside with the cooler on.(not air con.) You are very kind looking after the dogs & your gift was thoughtful from them. Wouldn't be any good for me, as I don't drink & never have. Merry Xmas & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about what you said Susan, and I've come to the conclusion that if I did not make some sort of 'effort' then I would feel I had let myself (and Management) down, and that our holiday would be less for not having a few 'token' special things that are not around the rest of the year.

      Wouldn't mind some of your heat occasionally though :). It never really got warm here this summer.

      Delete
  6. I've just been playing 'find the dog' with that next-to-last photo, are you sure she was under there? :) She was certainly well snuggled in and I don't blame her. What a lovely promise you made her when she came to you - I'm sure you'll do everything you can to keep her safe and warm.

    My Christmas looks just like any other time of year but I don't mind. My son and daughter-in-law are going to her parents for Christmas dinner and to be honest I'm glad - I usually get invited to them but there are so many kids belonging to various other family members that after a while I can't stand it. I don't 'do' kids - give me a load of dogs any time! :) As I'll be on my own I didn't do any extra food shopping, and my only indulgence has been a ready made strawberry trifle from Asda.

    To be honest I'm looking forward to just having some quiet 'me' time - after all that's happened in the last month with my son's dad it'll be nice to have a few days to myself to unwind a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eunice, hope you enjoyed your game of 'spot the dog' !! She was definitely under there, and is in the same position right now, when she sees how wet and windy i is outside today I suspect Daisy will wish she had stayed there!

      Your Christmas sounds lovely and just what you need right now, I cannot imagine how emotionally tiring your trip to Ireland was. J, x

      Delete
  7. We celebrate on chrimbly eve with the family then return Ho email to do any last minute wrapping, then just us and the animals for chrimbly morning when my folks and brother not wife come for lunch. Weather permitting we'll gat out to blow the cobwebs away in the afternoon while Moss runs and runs and runs her long legs off. Wishing you all a good weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Hawthorn, 'weather permitting' indeed - not sure Miss Moss would want to be out much in what we've got here this morning, I know Daisy won't!

      Sounds like you will have a lovely family-filled lunch and I hope it all goes well for you. Was it lovely having Eldest come home to help put up the decorations? :)

      Delete
  8. When I was teaching we always found that windy weather affected the children too.
    Tivvy also likes a lay in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, interesting - I've heard that before. How old is Tivvy now? Not surprised she likes a lay in, so do I occasionally! Hope you are having a good Christmas day.

      Delete
  9. Merry Christmas Jayne, I hope it was a cosy quilt filled day xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tess. We had a gentle adn quiet Christmas, just the way we wanted it :)

      Delete
  10. Merry Christmas from me too Jayne ,,, compiling a Winter album of pics so will send you the link when I have finished it although not sure the last one I sent you worked. Your Christmas looked lovely ,,, cosy and peaceful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, albeit belated! Look forward to seeing your next set of pictures - really must persuade you to put them on a blog!!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}