Thursday, 22 December 2016

There's a storm coming . . .

Solstice day turned out considerably nicer than expected.  Daisy and I had a good stroll around the lanes, although this lovely vista was not quite as bucolic as it might appear.  It is only 10 minutes walk from Bag End and the sun may have been out but the wind was strong and bitterly cold.



A bit further on, still lovely views and still bitterly cold



I've just been out with Daisy for our first* walk of the day.  We bumped into a friend who is a keen sailor and listens to the Shipping Forecast every night.  A few hours ago the seas around Ardnamurchan Point, an area which M. and I are very fond of, was "High, Very High and occasionally Phenomenal".  That's as bad as it can get - Hurricane force and you really don't want to be out in it if you have a choice.  All week the Met Office have been threatening us with the arrival of Storm Barbara tomorrow and it does look as if we will get something of a beating over the weekend.



So rather than leave the buying of fresh veggies and last minute holiday food things until tomorrow, I think it would be a good idea to toddle out now.  Once I am back, apart from looking after Her Ladyship, I really don't have to leave the house for days . . .






*  There was a day last week when Madam had six walks between getting up and going back to bed, which is not particularly unusual . . . only one was 'long' (2½ miles) and the rest were all 20 minute strolls around the green and along our road.  And I wonder why sometimes I feel like Daisy has full-time staff and I'm "it" ⁉️ 

11 comments:

  1. A lovely walk.
    I do like the names these storms are given even if I don't appreciate the devastation they cause. Let's keep our fingers crossed we manage to avoid a repeat of last year.
    All shopping done here now, thank goodness. Who knows what the weekend will bring. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, glad you have all your shopping done, now you can relax and start Christmas early :)

      After the damage caused by Desmond last year (much of which is still not repaired), I think we will all breath a sigh of relief once the next storm has passed.

      Delete
  2. Dogs are very good at training their people.

    Barbara sound so benign not a storm name at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Sue, I am quite well aware that Daisy can be extremely manipulative, and that I permit it!!

      I don't know who thinks up these daft names . . .

      Delete
  3. Yesterday was much nicer than anticipated here too, managed to get out and have a lovely local walk with a special friend (and Miss Moss) We had another little furry-friend with us today and managed another but very chilly and brittle walk with the two dogs - Now, fire crackling away, MM wearing tinsel on her collar and Himself baking mince pies - it suddenly feels a little more festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real fire, tinsel round the dog and Himself in the kitchen - that definitely sounds like Christmas :) Hope you all stay safe, warm and happy, xx

      Delete
  4. I often wonder why they name storms etc., but do hope you don't get as much damage as last years. We have the first cyclone of the season bearing down on the north west coast of Western Australia & it is named Yvette. This one is about the same time as Tracey hit Darwin in 1974 & devastated the city. It is strange, as we didn't have any cyclones hit Oz last year at all. I think it was the first time it happened in my lifetime. Maybe this year is going to be a bad one, though I hope not, as like your storms, they leave so much damage. Stay warm, enjoy your fire and Merry Xmas to you, yours and Daisy. Take care and huggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I do hope you don't get a memorable storm season. There is enough trouble in the world without having to rebuild after natural events.

      We are doing as you suggest and enjoying the wood burner, Daisy especially! thanks, xx

      Delete
  5. Hope you are ok ,,, wet and very windy yesterday but nowhere near as bad as in the West I think. Calm this morning with a beautiful blue sky. Happy Christmas Eve x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, yesterday was a bit wild but nothing compared to what the Scottish islands were experiencing, and in truth, we've had much worse here too. Still cold and windy here but dry. Hope your Christmas preparations are complete and you do not have to go out today :)

      Delete
  6. Pretty much finished Jayne and hopefully out for a walk later today if it stays dry. I thought it looked calm earlier ,, I was wrong!!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}