Thursday, 1 December 2016

A spot of light pruning

Last week whilst LP was removing the willow fedge I embarked on a spot of autumn pruning . . .



The photo doesn't really show the extent of the wholesale slaughter which took place on inherited Lonicera involucrata which we allowed to grow between the laurel hedge and the actual fence.  I've had enough of it - horrible untidy habit, and blocks too much light from the laurel.  Getting the roots out should be fun . . . not  😩

This morning I was in the mood to do a bit more 😀.
Rather drastic, but I meant to cut the Cottage Garden bed down twelve months ago and failed, it all needs a thorough overhaul and replanting, so at least I have finally made a start!  Fortunately*, LP is due here tomorrow and his first job of the day will be a great deal of shredding.












* not fortunate at all - deliberately planned this way 😍

6 comments:

  1. Nice to see wholesale slaughter on an unwanted plant, think it is good for the soul and the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn. It is too easy to leave something which has become too big, usually because we grow attached to it. Fortunately this was an inherited thug that we "gave a second chance" to. It's not getting a 3rd! And you are right, it was immensely satisfying.

      Delete
  2. You have been a busy bee. I bet it felt good to get rid. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, still got to get the roots out, so not completely rid of it, but delighted (and surprised) with how much more light there is. With a good mulch and feed the adjacent laurel hedge will thank me for the extra space (I hope).

      Delete
  3. I'll need another tour by next summer (boohoo). We've also been madly pruning (mainly pittosporums- yucky), as everything has grown madly in the milder, wet Spring we've just experienced. The roadside grasses are bigger than I've seen in many a year, hence all allergies a lot of people are finding they have. Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's get you a flight booked, and a motorhome to hire so you can go wherever you want . . . As always Susan, thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}