Friday, 18 November 2016

Snowing and sewing

Today has been cold, with an all-pervasive dampness that gets into bones and makes being outside less than pleasant.  Daisy is not impressed with these conditions so I feel no guilt about not taking her for a long walk - after the usual ‘short trip around the block’ we played rugby in the garden until Madam was so puffed out that she refused to bring the ball back - a sure sign she’s had enough.

Although there is a lot of snow visible on the fells we only got nasty cold hail.  It is easy to forget though, if we can see this much white stuff then the Central and Eastern fells have probably had a real dumping 😎



Some of these pictures have received quite a bit of Haze Correction in PhotoShop, I'm not sure I really like the effect but it did produce an image that was closer to what my eye saw than the camera recorded.







Mostly it looked like this - cold, wet, sleety.







A day for making more progress on the Fat Quarter quilt binding, but only a little at a time.



And a day for making a start on fitted sheets for the caravan.  I shouldn't really be surprised that my 'test fit' turned out to be just about perfect because I'd measured really carefully . . . but I was, and then a bit delighted as well 😀







What is a surprise, however, is to be overrun with salad leaves at this time of year, the greenhouse is producing almost more than we can eat which is a lovely 'problem' to have.








12 comments:

  1. We had some wet, sleety, snow today but nothing that settled. Well done with the salad leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, we've woken to more hail and rain but not enough to stick here either.

      Delete
  2. Send me some of that lovely wet stuff, would you? We're desperate for precipitation in any form we can get it, whether warm or cold. It was 78 degrees today but a front is coming through overnight so the weekend looks like a good time to stay in and sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have azs much of it as you like. 78 degrees is crazy at this time of year, even for you :)

      Delete
  3. The sheet looks to be a great fit. How many will you make? I really really want some snow now. We're just getting the rotten damp weather. Combined with the leaves it makes for interesting walking conditions. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, just two sheets, one for each of the single beds. Be careful what you wish for . . . icy slush on top of mushed-up leaves won't be nice to walk on. xx

      Delete
  4. Ooh, those photos do make me feel cool. Best I have a look at them on Monday, when it is predicted to reach 38deg here, then down to 19deg on Tuesday. How weird is that, all of half of what it was the day before. The sheets look really good. I just buy mine already made. Keep warm & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Susan, not possible to buy ready-made sheets exactly the right size so I thought I would have a go at making my own. Remarkably simple now I've got started :)

      Delete
  5. You've done a great job with the sheet, fab colour too.

    We've had a fair amount of hail, beautiful blue sky today though which is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only got as far as shaping the corners yesterday. Need to re-measure in situ to decide exactly how much I want it to tuck under the mattress and then make a channel for elastic.

      Lucky you with a little blue sky, that's what we could do with here.

      Delete
  6. We woke up to a covering of ice...love the shots of those brooding fells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those fells have definitely been brooding again today, although a few times we looked out and there was what appeared to be a very thorough white-out going on.

      Please keep the ice all to yourselves :(

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}