Wednesday, 16 November 2016

An excuse/reason to sit in front of the TV and wood burner for a few hours

Back in February I had a manic (but enjoyable) time quilting up many tops prior to the going away party we held for Danny.

What none of the guests who admired my quilt-covered sofas realised was that this relaxed little top (which was originally pieced from left-over FQ's as a backing) had been quilted and trimmed but never bound.  I just hid all the edges behind cushions and smiled at the compliments 😚





Today was one of those wild, wet and generally dismal mid-November afternoons, and the wind made things rather unpleasant.  Daisy and I got thoroughly hailed-stoned on our walk this morning and she was not remotely unhappy when I cut the walk short and headed back for home.  It seemed like a good time to 'extract the digit', stop fussing about trying to find the perfect binding fabric and just get on with it.  I don't remember when I bought this material, but it's fairly appropriate for our location.



Sewing the binding on went really well.  I don't often use the walking foot but it did a good job of giving me a wider seam allowance than usual.



And then, after a quick walk at 4.30pm with Madam before it got completely dark, it was time to settle down in front of the woodburner and hand-finish the binding.  This is no show quilt, it's not perfectly square and is pieced in a particularly haphazard fashion; it will be a picnic rug, a dog blanket, thrown in the car or caravan but it still gets completed by hand.  On a couple of occasions I've relented and finished a binding by machine and then hated what I've done to it.  Lesson learnt 😄





I rarely get close enough when her eyes are closed to take a picture, but this afternoon she was spark-out and not moving for anything.



Only managed about a third before giving up for the night, yes I could have finished it all but sitting in one place for so long isn't good for me, so I'll pick it up again for an hour here and there over the next couple of days.





10 comments:

  1. Unfortunately all this quilting talk is lost on me. Binding, trimming and FQ's is a foreign language to me but the fabric is pretty. 😊 I can look at Daisy photographs all day though. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Jules, not trying to be confusing and speak in tongues :)

      Delete
  2. Good to see you keeping busy for a change! Fabulous colours on the quilting, obviously. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this how you retaliate when I ask why you look at every blog post but never comment? Sarcasm, lowest form of wit and all that ?????? How you are keeping well, you old fart :) Sorry I got to speak to your answerphone this week instead of you (although I probably got more sense from the machine, ha ha ha)

      Delete
  3. Well done you, especially after saying I was doing well with a quilt on the machine, which still isn't off, as we've had a few hectic days & another couple coming up. I've never even tried to machine finish a binding & I've sure done plenty over nearly 40 years.(Hmmmm.) Love the Daisy photo, wish I could sleep like that. Keep warm & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. You make me laugh - I thought retirement was meant to put an end to hectic days and no time to play on the computer! I also wish I could sleep as much as Daisy does :) huggles.

      Delete
  4. We do dozens of machine bindings a year for customers, and I use machine finishing for my ordinary quilts- my Pippi sleeps on them so I'm not wasting handwork there. But I do like binding by hand, it's rather zen like and it's nice to spend a few hours examining the quilt up close, before you finally say"It's finished!" It's a great moment when you put those last stitches in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mereth, thank you for your visit - so sorry I have been AWOL from you & Kerryn for a while, am really behind on my blog reading :(

      You're absolutely right, hand-finishing is quite zen-like and I love it.

      Delete
  5. I'm like Jules. Walking foot conjured up some strange pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sue - here's some more: a walking foot has feed dogs . . .

      Them's the "teeth" which help feed/guide fabric under the presser foot, and when you are sewing all the layers of a quilt plus binding the walking foot gives you an extra set of feed dogs above the fabric which it helps everything go evenly through the machine.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}