Saturday, 1 October 2016

I'm sorry - it's not you, it's me. It is not your fault that we must part . . .

Somewhere in the deep recesses of the mind an idea had been slowly cooking, pushed away onto a backburner with no intention to turn up the heat until well into next year, or maybe even 2018.

But in typical Bag End style, nothing stays still for long and so it was that Management, Daisy and I had a lovely drive along the A66 this morning, spent a couple of hours in North Yorkshire, and came home with a piece of paper which says in a couple of weeks we will be the proud Mummy and Daddy of:







These are 'library pictures' from the manufacturer.  By the time we'd done the deal it was raining too hard to go traipsing back to 'our' caravan to take photos.

Betsy the Bailey?
Rosie the Rimini?

Nomenclature can come later, for now we're sitting with coffee and a bun slightly in shock at our profligacy.  And why, when I adore the Lovely Lunar, will a very nice 2013 caravan soon be on the 'used' forecourt?

Well, for our first caravan the Lunar has been exceptional, but it is not perfect.  It was my insistence that we have the double bed layout, but in practical terms that hasn't worked so well, both for sleeping and for the sheer weight of the mattress and supports when gaining access to the space underneath.



And with silly (but typical of the industry) design features such as putting two heavy gas bottles right at the front, and the fully-loaded fridge and 25kg battery also ahead of the axle, safely packing the van to maintain the proper noseweight is a bloomin' hassle.  And the Lunar bathroom - mahooosive, almost big enough for us both to wash and dress at the same time, which amounts to a huge waste of space that would be better employed (for us) for living.

And so it came to pass we made a decision that, at some distant point in the future, we'd change the van for a different layout.  Which is a fine intention until M. said "why don't you ring a few companies and see what sort of offers are around just ahead of the big show at the NEC".   So I did, and the result was - ooops!!!   A caravan which addresses every single 'design' problem and gives us more space and better laid-out storage, a much bigger fridge, and hopefully an enhanced "caravan experience".  (It bloomin' better, we mutter darkly . . . .)

And a Small Person, who really does not like long car journeys, behaved beautifully but was very, very happy to get home :)






I struggled for a while as to whether to document this at Bag End.   A blog I thoroughly enjoy (but the writer is taking time off at present) is Sadie at A Life in the English Rain.  In her recent 'Gratitude' post she covered something which I have also had problems with - if you write about a new acquisition does it come over as boasting?  We live in such a dreadfully unequal world, in an unfair society, that sometimes I feel I should keep quiet about buying new things.  But then I rationalised that the blog is meant to be my personal journal so I have to write about this sort of stuff, otherwise as a record for me to refer back to in my future dotage, it becomes useless.

So here it is, acquisition laid bare.  We do not drink, or smoke, or take drugs, and we never book expensive foreign holidays,  I have no sparkly expensive shoes or designer jeans.  Neither does Management.  For all of our lives we have adhered to the doctrine of saving money for our retirement and we do have a habit of saving every spare penny we can each month.  Which is all well and good, except that my recent health issues have, whilst never being worthy of hospitalisation or major treatment, shown us that good health can be fleeting and even supposedly 'small' things can impact hugely on your quality of life and ability to do what you want.

So whilst not going bonkers, we feel that although it is all very well having money in a savings account "for later", we might as well spend a bit of it now, because "later" might not be as healthy or active or nice as we would like it to be.

Like I said earlier, oops!!!







29 comments:

  1. Well done on your new purchase Jayne, I hope you all have some very happy holidays in it. I love the soft furnishings in the pics, does your one cone with the same or will they be different?

    I wouldn't worry too much over writing about buying new things - you've worked hard and saved hard so there's nothing wrong with treating yourselves to something which you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of. Anyway, you don't have to justify yourself or your purchases to others - if what you buy makes you happy then that's all that matters.

    I don't think you've seen it yet if you're reading my blog backwards but have a look at my recent post on East Ruston vicarage gardens, I think you'll like the pics on that one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice, the colour scheme in the photos is what we will get (but not the fancy things on the beds ... )

      I really appreciate your thoughtful comments, and in the morning I will have a look at your East Ruston photos, afraid tonight it is too late an I am too tired to do your posts justice. Your pictures are so good that they deserve more time than I can give them now :)

      Delete
  2. Looks rather lovely, enjoy your time spent within. Who knows how long we'll be able to choose how we live our lives? One day there will be no tomorrow.

    I had a massive spending spree today, people will judge when I share it on my blog, well I hope they enjoy it as much I enjoy wearing my new gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. I am way behind on reading blogs, so I shall have a good catch up at yours (as well as Eunice's!!). Glad I'm not the only one done a little shopping :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new improved model. Your decision is obviously very well thought out and this will only enhance your experiences. My brother and SIL loathe caravans and pour scorn on the multitudes setting off "around Australia", but I'd love to do this. In the words of my two year old grand-daughter "Adventure!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mereth. The more I find out about the design of the caravan the more pleased I am - realised earlier that they have also fitted the heating unit much closer to the axle than on our Lunar which will also help with loading. Perhaps you should listen to GD rather than brother and just go! I wonder what sort of adventures you and Keryn could have, and you'd be able to take the dawgs along :)

      Delete
    2. PS: in the UK it is now much easier to rent good sized Motorhomes for holidays rather than going to the (huge) expense of purchasing. Can you do that in Australia?

      Delete
  4. I agree with your philosophy entirely and I don't think celebrating new ventures is at all boastful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like your purchase has been well thought out. The axel loading nightmare of the Lunar would irritate me too 😉

    Yeah, the "advancing years" topic has raised it's head in our household too - and left me in a troublesome quandary...

    Enjoy your new acquisition - you have surely earned it 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dani. We've often wondered if some caravans are designed by people who never use them, or have to tow them :(
      The 'advancing years' topic, hmm, sadly not going to go away in any of our households.

      Delete
  6. I hope you have some wonderful times in it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tess. Even though we have not used the Lunar as much as I'd hoped in our first year we enjoyed every moment in it, and I am sure the new van will be the same (if not better!)

      Delete
  7. Now I have this image in my mind of Management in sparkly shoes! Next stop Strictly? (Logging in to leave comments used to be a blockage, but I've had to get a Google account running for other reasons; I don't like giving Google more info than I have to.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I was waiting for someone to comment on Management in sparkly shoes! Well done Roddie :) Sorry you have to sign into Google to comment, but the alternatives are (a) moderate comments (b) loads of spam . . .

      Delete
  8. It looks fabulous. I hope you have many years of enjoyment together. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. So do I because M. says we're not buying another one!

      Delete
  9. I think all of us can tell the difference between bragging and just telling your friends about your new toy. Looks like a gem and I hope you get to enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think all of us can tell the difference between bragging and just telling your friends about your new toy. Looks like a gem and I hope you get to enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, kind words :) Fingers hugely crossed that now my shoulders are getting better (ie less painful) I will be able to go away in the caravan far more often.

      Delete
  11. Looks lovely Jayne ,,, if something's not right and you have the ability to fix it then go for it. Definitely not bragging and no need at all to justify what you choose to spend your hard earned savings on. We also looked at Lunars but then decided to go for a Bailey as you know and have been happy with it for four years so I hope your new one, whatever it is, gives you loads of pleasure. I'm a bit behind with your blog ,,, been meaning to email for ages! Full of cold at the moment but still enjoying the wonderful light at this time of year which is a little misty this morning. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shouldn't read your blog before I am awake ,,, I can see what it is now lol ,,, I blame my fuzzy head!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Jill, thanks for both lovely comments, thought you'd get a giggle out of our choice of manufacturer! I am sure we will catch up before long, hope your cold gets better soon.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! What a lovely thing to buy, and no, not boasting. It is tricky though isn't it, when you are excited and pleased with something then there's that moment ... do I talk about it on the blog? But you are spot on. A blog is a record of life, from the bad bits to the good. And I totally get what you are saying with this post, especially the last paragraph. The husband and I were talking about a subject almost exactly the same, and it was decided we would spend savings on something very much a treat that was on the cards for 'later'. Later is now next week, and there is excitement.
    By the way, do you know Suzanne of blog life from Number 38? She also invested in a caravan this year, so you have something in common.
    Thank you for the mention in your blog, it's always a happy surprise when anyone does that. I go all red and bashful!

    Love your blog. Shall be back again soon.
    Have a glorious Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadie, a warm welcome to Bag End, and thank you for your wonderful comment. Look foward to seeing your 'treat'.

      I do not know Suzanne, but will have a go at finding her. I do like seeing caravans on other people's blogs!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Quite right too! It is a smaller version of Suzanne's (Life at No 38).

      Delete
  15. You are not boasting, just explaining why you're changing vans and it is your life, so make the most of it. We may come to UK, but I wouldn't say it was a fancy overseas holiday, as we catch up with family, stay with them too & save like mad to make it happen. I've always been tight! BTW, nice looking van, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Welcome home, hope you are starting to get caught up on sleep, jetlag and laundry. Maybe you saw this van at Bardsea? They are a Bailey dealer so should have had one on display. Email later :). xx

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}