Tuesday, 18 October 2016

Caravan quilts, the full story

It is absolutely PERSISTING it down outside but if the BBC Weather app is to be believed, by 3.00pm I might be able to get outside and do some gardening.  As it is far too wet to run 'stuff' down to the caravan the floor of my study continues to be a huge mess.  Even though I swore it would not happen (and have to admit to having a spreadsheet recording the weight of everything we initially put into the Lunar), like most people we seem to have suffered from mission creep and only about half of what came out of the old caravan is going to go into the new one.



So, I might as well spend the time doing a much-overdue catch up post.

I've already written about the piecing here and here, and at the end of January there was an enormous amount of faffing about to make best use of the backing material.  Despite much messing around the red quilt (destined for the bathroom) ended up with a different fabric.



Early February saw a quilting marathon using one of the nicest pantographs patterns I've ever come across - Feathered Curls by Irene Steel.  



Although by the time I had sewn it on six panels I was getting a little bored!





There followed a mammoth binding session and "tra la", the quilts were (nearly) finished and there were no more blog updates.  And now there is no more caravan which needs a serious injection of colour . . . but nothing quilted is ever wasted and I don't feel irritated or bothered to have gone through all that work.  The red panel has already found a new home on the kitchen table where it complements the green walls







and the big green panel will go into our new van either to protect a bed or sofa, and a deep green 'Bali Pop' of pre-cut strips should be enough to make a complementary quilt of a similar size.  Which means that now I have a reason to get in the sewing room, there might just be some fabric action in the near future!









16 comments:

  1. Lovely antidote to both the weather and to the brown of caravans!why do caravan manufacturers insist on such a bleugh interior with dark wood and dreadful patterning on the upholstery? ! I would much prefer a bright white, light and airy interior design 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sneaking as much 'colour' into the new caravan as I think it can take! If you want a bright & white interior, have a look at the Adria caravans - a bit different to what UK manufacturers produce.

      Delete
  2. I'm reminded of the rainbow we saw on the way to preschool this morning. Beautiful colours. How great that you can find another use for them. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vaguely relevant comment, but more of a question really because I'm after some advice. I'm thinking of making a quilt for a double bed. Not pieced necessarily, maybe joined lengths of fabric and hand quilted. Thing is, what should I use for the middle layer? I want it to drape nicely over the bed but not be too thin. I'm thinking luxury hotel or the White Company for a fraction of the price...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, if you want nice drape and pleasant to hand quilt I would go for wadding which is a wool mix or cotton, and steer completely clear of 100% polyester. This link will both get you started and possibily boggle your mind (you won't have realised there are so many to chose from!)
      https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Wadding.html

      My personal favourite is Matilda's Own, an australian product. My stash of it was bought some time ago and is 60% wool, 40% polyester, quilts and drapes beautifully, and being wool, the quilt breathes really well. Have a look at the Cotton Patch info and let me know if you've got any more questions. Hope this helps a little.

      Delete
    2. Just butting in(sorry) and yes Matilda's Own is great and I use the Wool 60%/Cotton 40% made by them. It's easy for me to get as they make it here in Melbourne & I just pop down and pick up a whole roll. Pity I can't whisk some your way.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for chiming in Susan. Have Victoria Textiles changed the make-up of Matilda's? I went and checked my supply (I also used to buy whole rolls at a time!) and it's definitely a wool/poly mix but online it is showing wool/cotton which sounds even nicer.

      Delete
    4. Thanks both for the advice. I'll follow your link Jayne. If this goes well, in the fullness of time I want to try a pieced quilt too... but right now I need it in less than the ten years it would take me to make it!

      Delete
  4. Funny, but I was only thinking about you and quilting over the weekend. I thought that it had been very quiet on the sewing front & if you'd lost the mojo, but maybe the cold, wet weather is bringing it back (giggle). Look forward to seeing what you do inside the new van. Ours is quite light, with pale woodgrain and pale green curtains. I made a quilt for the bed (many years ago), which more or less matches. Not used the van for a while now. Hope you got out into the garden for a bit. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, yes, I was thinking it had been quiet on the sewing front too! Trouble is, only so many hours in the day . . .

      I've also gone past the time when I made quilts just for the sake of it. I have a couple of boxes full of pieces that I am probably never going to use, really must find new homes for them. These days I find I don't have the enthusiasm to quilt unless there is a proper reason for it, probably why I enjoyed making the caravan quilts so much.

      Hope your holiday has inspired you to get the caravan out a little bit more in the coming months.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I've never made anything quite so bright and 'rainbow' before but I still love these as much as when they were completed. Glad you like the purple - one of my favourites too :)

      Delete
  6. Now that is an impressive quilt! what sort of machine are you using on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Tricky, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I'm quilting on an APQS Millenium longarm machine. The piecing all happened on a regular Janome :)

      Delete
  7. Those material colours are gorgeous, definitely designed for brightening up a caravan interior - I look forward to seeing some pics of your new 'van with your handiwork in place :)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}