Sunday, 18 September 2016

Feral

I spent much of Saturday working on the big bed in the Cottage Garden.  As a result I spent much of Sunday recovering from Saturday.

I've "joked" on a few occasions about the Cottage Garden having gone badly feral over the last couple of years.  There is no-one to blame but me - I've been occupied elsewhere and given these beds no attention so quite naturally, nature has done what nature does, and the weeds have taken over.  Completely.

I suppose it is not completely my fault - our Does.Absolutely.Nothing.In.His.Garden.Peeping.Tom.Neighbour ought to share some of the blame; most of the weeds have marched into my beds from his side of the fence.  Friendly stuff, the sort that is easy to erradicate like ground elder, horsetail and willowherb.  Grrrr.   There will be glyphosate in the future, but there's a lot more hacking and slashing to go before I get to that stage.



 




(I have no idea why Blogger is putting a line through the picture, it's been doing it all weekend, grrrrrr)
 


I was wrong about one thing though, it's not so much feral as zombie apocalypse.

This little area (which, not coincidentally, is the furthest from next door) has responded well to serious digging, so there is possibly hope for the rest.




Bag End is not always quite the happy little nirvana which some folk seem to think it is :)



7 comments:

  1. It's pretty much what my garden is like at the moment. I'm sure with a little TLC it will look fabulous. I'm intrigued by your neighbour. 😯 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget about my neighbour Jules, I try to . . .

      Delete
  2. If you've got a cure for ground elder I'd like to hear it! Also, we inherited a snoweberry hedge which has to be one of the most invasive shrubs I have ever encountered. Your patch looks an absolute peach :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you've got a cure for ground elder I'd like to hear it! Also, we inherited a snoweberry hedge which has to be one of the most invasive shrubs I have ever encountered. Your patch looks an absolute peach :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I'd love to say I had a cure-all for the ruddy stuff, but the only thing I have found which works is professional-strength glyphosate. Trouble is, you have to keep re-applying.

      Don't know how horticultural you are but ground elder shoots up from underground nodes on the roots, not all nodes are active at the same time and glyphosate (theoretically) only attaches to above-ground green tissue. So you'd spray off, the current growth would die, then you have to spray the next flush of growth and so on until everything is weakened enough that the root system gives up the ghost.

      I did once manage to eradicate everything from this area but I will never win completely because Him.Next.Door has a flourishing patch of it and the damn stuff just wanders uninvited under the fence!

      Delete
  4. Ah - I see your feral and raise you one war zone ... my garden is in the process of complete destruction (I mean make over) complete with tree felling and plant removal ... not a good look when you have visitors from Australia who want a walk around your garden and it looks dreadful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I see your war zone and raise you one walking wounded . . . and imminently, two walking Australians who will also want to have a look around!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}