Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Womble-time

Underground, overground, wombling free
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folk leave behind . . .


It does not worry me in the slightest that I didn't need to go to Google to look up those words!




I was eight years old when the first books were published and for many years it was one of my favourite TV programmes.  So ahead of its time :)  Something must have stuck because I hate to see anything thrown away which I can make good use of.

I'm at it again because our new neighbours (in Danny's house) are having their roof replaced.  Guess who has been skip-diving?  Both our neighbour and his builder could not have been more helpful, so much so that when the other half of the roof is stripped off next week they're not even going to put the wood in the skip but leave it on the drive for me.




The builder also seems delighted that I am happy to have all the pallets which the new roof tiles are sitting on.





6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mrs G - have you added being psychic to your already long list of skills! Even though we have numerous log piles, don't clear under the hedges, bla bla bla, I was thinking of cutting some of the pallets down (into rectangles), and doing exactly what you suggest :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, pallets! Something I love. I've so many ideas for using them & have a board on my Pinterest just for them. Bug hotels are fascinating & we love seeing them and what people use. Danny's old house isn't get a new loft type space is it? I thought of that as my quilting studio (giggle). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to tell you that my new neighbours have not taken the opportunity to extend the roofline to give you plenty of room for the quilting machine. Would you like me to admonish them on your behalf? {{ha ha ha ha ha}}

      Delete
  3. Mike Batt, the music man behind the Wombles, has produced some pretty good stuff - including hits for Katie Melua. Amazingly, I never got round to seeing the Wombles that often - but their contribution to our attitudes must have been spectacular. That said, Mrs Britain would love me to dispose of more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, thanks for taking the time to comment.

      I do wonder what kids today would make of The Wombles, we definitely grew up in a time they'd hardly recognise - no iPhones, no internet, no Facebook . . .

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}