Saturday, 13 August 2016

Real gardening

A common grumble over the last couple of years has been about times when I have spent an entire day outside, but not touched a single plant.  It is not really a 'grumble' - how lucky am I to have such a wonderful large garden to play with, a non-gardening-husband who never flinches at the latest mad idea (especially as he's come up with many of them, I'm sure he could have a post-retirement career as a designer if he wanted to!) and LP to come in and do the physical slog.  BUT, that doesn't mean there are times when I would much rather be tending plants and doing real gardening than all the building and hard landscaping stuff.

The eagle-eyed may have noticed LP is absent at present - he's having surgery on both hands which will put him out of action until the end of next month.  I do hope it works and relieves a lot of the pain he's been in for some time.  I confess I don't miss his presence at all - it means that when I have felt like getting outside I can do real gardening - weeding, pruning, ordinary messing about.  It's been lovely.  Although I haven't blogged much recently, in the last couple of weeks I have:

Harvested the rest of the garlic, some varieties did better than others but overall I've got more than enough to last a few months and compared to shop-bought bulbs it is sweet and juicy and wonderful :)



Encouraged by how much the Top Pond has benefited from improving visibility I'm messing around with part of the Big Pond.  Not finished yet but I know where I'm going with it, and that in itself is an achievement!









Given the willow fedge a serious haircut.  We're definitely going to remove it over the winter.



Finally planted clematis montana next to the small shed, laid black membrane on the ground and done a little painting.





Unfortunately we do not know when we'll manage to get the slate chippings to cover this and the new path in the Cottage Garden.  Walter (who supplied everything last year) is ill, very very ill.  Finishing off a path is nothing compared to what he is facing so I'll just bide my time and it will all get sorted out in the end.



Managed more weeding in the Cottage Garden.  The years of hard work adding tons of compost to the soil are now paying dividends.  It has been surprisingly easy to dig, and even though we've not had much rain recently the soil is holding moisture well.





Finally obtained and fitted some leaky hose in the new beds behind the house.  They are in a near-total rain shadow but now I can easily get water to the soil I can plant up this area.  I've started with a couple of Virginia Creeper, one of M's favourite plants.



Of course, none of this has happened without my Supervisor who does nothing except interrupt me when she thinks it is time for more games.  Which is exactly as it should be!









I couldn't decide which of these two pictures to use . . . so you get both :-)





6 comments:

  1. It's all looking great, but 'Virginia creeper', ugh! It's ferocious weed out here. Isn't it strange how some plants turn into noxious weeds in different parts of the world. I've been thinking of clematis too, & some dianthus barbatus, which is the hairy green flowered one. Hubby laughs at my odd colour choices with ones that verge on black and also green flowers. Thanks for the garden update & take care. Hi Daisy, I met a lovely foster greyhound yesterday called Chuck, & he wanted lots of cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, virginia creeper can grow very enthusiastically here but I don't think it can be classed as a weed. Hope you enjoyed your cuddles :)

      Delete
  2. You have been busy and it shows. Can't have too many photos of Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, you can imagine how many Daisy photos live in folders and don't get to the blog!

      Delete
  3. Your garlic looks great ,,, the only time I grew it it didn't separate into cloves so I had a huge bulb which tasted fantastic though ,,, much juicier than the shop bought stuff. The ponds look great too and Daisy enjoying the sunshine. Enjoy the peace and getting your hands on plants again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jill. Apparently if garlic does not get cold enough over December/January then it does not differentiate into separate cloves. Thanks for the lovely comment, we've all been enjoying the garden the last couple of weeks.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}