Sunday, 21 August 2016

Home again, home again, jiggity jig

We've been on a little holiday, just Daisy and me, only four nights but it felt like a lovely long break.  A week comprising lots of firsts the biggest being my "going completely solo" with the caravan, and the first time a 'Club' campsite, and the first time Daisy has been away without Management, and the first time I've actually got off my bottom and used the caravan to visit somewhere I've been talking about for ages - although we ventured a mere 30 miles and didn't leave the county! We stayed in Ravenglass for four nights and the car didn't move once between arriving and departing.

Each day followed  the same simple pattern:

An early morning 'toilet walk' for Madam along a safe track to the old Roman bathhouse remains.



A post-breakfast walk for a couple of hours pottering around the estuary.









A great deal of sitting around the rest of the day because it was far too hot to do things we had planned like take the La'al Ratty steam train and go for 'proper walks'.  The Kindle and iPad got a lot of attention, as did my stomach.  Daisy ate alfresco, lounged around like a pro and took the whole thing completely in her stride.









Every evening we had a pre-bedtime walk back to the village and enjoyed lovely sunsets.





And that was about that!   Ravenglass is a funny little place - still trying hard to retain some of its previous elegance (there are some huge houses hidden amongst the trees down quiet tracks) with many residents making a big effort with plants in containers.  Note to self - really must try harder with our drive/front of the house next year.  A couple of pubs and a cafe are kept thoroughly busy with visitors who have come mainly for the railway, but apart from the strangest small post office you've ever visited there is nothing left of a once thriving village.









Without visitors from the campsite and steam train Ravenglass would be a very dead place indeed.







But it was a splendidly relaxing break and I got a lot of confidence from managing all the caravan stuff on my own.  On the downside it was my first visit to a 'big' site and probably my last.  Despite the staff being very cheerful and friendly and the facilities spotlessly clean, I found the pitches terribly close together and if I had not had a fence behind our pitch it would have been difficult to have much privacy.
 
On arrival I was told there would be 'emergency tree work' for the following two days - hours of chainsaw & industrial woodchipper noise which, coupled with grass cutting, was not conducive to sitting quietly onsite trying to rest and relax.  The work was much needed and long overdue, trees everywhere meant my pitch and many others had very little sun.  On my last night the wind picked up and seed pods from the tree hanging over the caravan rained down on the roof most of the night - sounded like I was being pelted with golf balls.  Thankfully no branches broke and landed on us . . .



Did I enjoy myself?  Yes - because the weather was great and I was in the caravan.

Would I return to this site?  Hmm, not sure.

Am I glad I went?  Oh yes, and I was planning another trip within hours of arriving home!









12 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great time and the sites sound like our caravan parks. Tree branches can be a nuisance in a van and our gums are notorious for dropping huge limbs "anytime". We've been away and had hail, gumnuts, seeds and possums on the van roof, so, no, it's not always as peaceful as we all imagine. I gather you didn't get to Muncaster after all? Good that Daisy was laid back and you sound well rested. Take care and sys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I'm not sure I like the sound of some of your caravan parks :) I got as far as the gates of Muncaster but I didn't bother to go in, Daisy had already walked quite far enough that day. Take care :)

      Delete
  2. Photos are lovely Jayne ,,, I like Ravenglass, we cycled there from Seascale when we stayed over at that side of the Lakes. Glad you enjoyed it (very empowering :-) ) depite the tight pitches and the disturbance ,,, a shame ,,, why don't they do jobs like that in the winter not in peak season! We moved our van in Norfolk because of high winds and overhanging branches! Off south this morning, just me and no I'm not towing!! I'm off to visit Angie for a few days and letting the train take the strain :-) Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jill, how I wish I could give you the confidence to tow your caravan :( Yesterday another friend told me that if her husband stopped towing she would never use their van on her own. It is so sad, because there is no secret, no magical ingredient required. You all seem to think I am some blummin' Superwoman but I am not. Hope you have a lovely time with Angie, do say 'hello' from me :) Hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely break, despite tree activity!

    I haven't been to Ravenglass for years. My first childhood visit signalled the start in my interest in the environment and "green" issues as we met some Greenpeace activists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So close to Sellafield, not surprised you met some Greenpeace folk. I think you will find Ravenglass a much quieter, much sadder place than it used to be, but nonetheless, definitely worth a visit.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely break away for you both. A perfect travelling companion. It looks like a nice area and you seemed blessed with some good weather. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, there's a secret to my getting good weather for our trips: I don't make any definite plans/bookings until 3 or 4 days before I want to go away and only then scout around for a site if the weather forecast is co-operative!

      Delete
  5. I bet you felt at home with the chainsaw and mowing sounds. Very brave of you to gi it alone, I bet you felt a real sense of achievement. We once went into a PO in France. We went through the door an found ourselves in the owners kitchen complete with washing on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, it was a bit Déjà vu :)
      I've got a lot more confidence now I've done a whole trip solo, but be glad you were not around the near panic on Monday morning when I was getting ready to leave - it was a different story entirely!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like generally a good time was had by all. I was thinking about all our travels just today. Since we no longer have our caravan we won't be making that kind of trek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Even though you've not got a caravan any more I hope you have some other kinds of travels to look forward to.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}