Monday, 25 July 2016

Hinting at normalcy?

It's all about mindset.  For as long as I can remember my mindset has been one of being constantly active, getting things done, cheerfully achieving lots every day.  It has taken me a long, long time but I might finally have accepted that has to change.  Whilst I am slowly getting better and achieving more sleep as I have less pain, I have to give my bones and muscles time to heal.  I have to accept that whilst I have never actually looked ill, I've probably been quite poorly and convalescing will take some time.

Convalescing - defined as the gradual recovery of health and strength after illness or injury.  OK, (shakes head quietly to self), I think I can cope with that.  So the Cottage Garden beds are close to being feral, there's ground elder trying to take over the land at the back of the house, planting in the New Garden has been a chaotic failure which needs completely overhauling and the empty and unused raised vegetable beds are an embarrassment.  So what?







Baby steps, baby steps and it will all be alright in the end, and if it's not alright then it's not the end.


I had a lovely Saturday just bimbling around the veg beds and have about half the area ready for seeds.  The plan is to use some of the ground as nursery beds for foxgloves, wallflowers and the like.  Pottering around felt lovely, almost 'back to normal' - whatever 'normal' is.



Sunday was quiet but at least the ironing basket got emptied, so Monday morning Daisy and I shot off to Crummock Water after breakfast.  With frequent sharp showers it was surprisingly cold and we were both glad of waterproofs, if I had taken gloves with me my hands would have appreciated it.  Still a lovely outing, everything was so verdant with numerous shades of green and occasional flashes of purple from heather and golden yellow from gorse.









The showers had kept most people away and we had the boathouse beach all to ourselves.





Mellbreak was looking particularly gloomy.



And then we bumped into Maisie.  



When we lived in Cockermouth Ollie and I regularly used to meet her Mum walking a very elderly Beardie who is now long gone.  It was lovely to see Pat again, Daisy and Maisie got on very well and hopefully we'll meet up soon to walk together again.

The chaos in the garden is not all bad - I have deliberately not been cutting parts of the lawns which are full of flowers.  There is no way I can put the mower over a large area of clover when it is covered in bees, same for the self-heal.  I have been rewarded by the appearance of THREE orchids in the Cottage Garden lawn! 



And a Certain Small Person doesn't mind how the grass looks:-)












12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you're beginning to feel a bit better and have been able to potter about round the garden; now please don't set yourself back by doing too much.

    The boathouse beach looks like a nice peaceful little haven. 'Daisy and Maisie' sounds like a 1950s comedy song and dance act :( - it's good that they got on well together. And it certainly looks like Daisy doesn't mind at all what the grass looks like :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice, I am being careful not to go mad - my Kindle is getting even more of a workout than usual.

      You're right about the dogs, whether you say Daisy & Maisie or Maisie & Daisy is all sounds a bit "retro"!!

      Delete
  2. Maybe, like you, your garden also needs a rest period ;) Weeds can always be dug in to the soil later - which, providing there are not seed heads, certainly won't harm it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right Dani, but unfortunately at this time of year we have (relative) warmth and plenty of rain - idea growing conditions and I have to try to stop things going to seed. Nearly everything goes on our compost heaps, so it gets dug into the soil eventually, in one form or another :-)

      Delete
  3. I may have used this phrase before but if you have to eat an elephant it is only possible to do it bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best phrases deserve repeating Sue :-)

      Delete
  4. There's an elephant here too. I've never caught up after losing Spring to a sprained ankle. Little by little is the only way. That and focusing on specific areas of the garden so you have somewhere to go that looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you when it comes to never getting caught up if you're incapacitated at the wrong time. Hope your ankle is fully recovered and completely strong again :-)

      Delete
  5. I don't know about you, but I'm getting OLD! I'm 53 and I can't do HALF the things I would have done in an INSTANT at 20! Who knew? :-(
    I'm almost looking forward to winter when I can STOP CUTTING THE FLIPPIN' GRASS....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, I totally get what you're saying, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!! My body certainly cannot keep up like it did 30 years ago but the bigger problem is that my brain really doesn't want to slow things down . . . which is most likely why I am in such a mess with my shoulders!

      I agree with you on grass cutting, down here grass is a weed, never had that before :-)

      Delete
  6. I must have missed this post. The garden can be done slowly when you are feeling like it, as pushing it makes it a chore. Now some of your "gorgeous" photos would definitely make the cut for our Scavenger photo hunts and I use lots at times from my archives. Think about it! OK, this is for Wanda above, as old is only what you want it to be & just think I'm (oh dear) 67 next month & still loving to do lots, but not as frantic about it and just enjoying the processes. Take care Jayne and huggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Susan, but things grow so fast here that if I don't try to keep on top of weeds then I'm just making life worse for myself next season.

      Nice idea about the Scavenger photo hunt - I suppose I could scavenge through my blog archive :-)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}