Tuesday, 26 July 2016

Birds and bulbs

For some weeks we have had a swallow nest outside the log store/shed but I thought it may have been abandoned due to my fairly regular going backwards and forwards, and disturbing the birds.



I did try putting up one of the Trailcams but must have got the settings wrong because it recorded nothing.  But if you really want to know if a nest is in use - carelessly leave a wheelbarrow underneath it when you're too tired to empty it and put things away properly.




Bulbs - well, that's twofold.  I am currently deeply engrossed in the new J Parkers Wholesale catalogue.  Bulb heaven - prepare for tulips next Spring!


More immediately I have harvested the first of our posh 'Heritage' garlic.  The yield is OK, but not as amazing as I hoped for, although the greenhouse really pongs right now, it's lovely!





And just in case there is any doubt about what time of year it is - the school holidays have started, it is August next week:-)








8 comments:

  1. I'd say the nest is certainly in use. Hope you can get some photos of the chicks when they hatch. Oh, garlic! I'm in awe of people who can eat it, as I get shocking indigestion & suffer badly. Are you sure you're not living in Oz, with that fire lit? Can I join Daisy on the cushion and maybe enjoy your Parkers catalogue too. Not seen one for years, though I do have an old one squirreled away.(giggle). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I must have another go with the Trailcam - perhaps that is a job for tomorrow.

      I don't think Parkers will ship to Australia and I doubt your strict Customs officers would let you import that sort of stuff anyway :-(

      Delete
  2. ah yes the British summer in the north of England.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Tess, rained like fury most of the night, muggy and humid right now.

      Delete
  3. We have actually had a summer over the last couple of weeks. It has certainly been too warm for any heating.
    I think I've given up on garlic altogether.
    Swallows and housemartins do tend to leave quite a mess under their nests, one of our neighbours once had them over his front door visitors stood underneath at their peril

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to have another warm spell.

      Do you have white rot on your plots or is your garlic ailing for another reason?

      Once the Swallows have gone I'm going to put a base board up which should make things easier if they nest in the same place next year.

      Delete
    2. No white rot just very small bulbs

      Delete
    3. Same here, most bulbs are smaller than I would have expected. I also dug one of a different variety and the bulb had not differentiated into cloves, I believe that is lack of vernalisation.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}