Thursday, 5 May 2016

Upheaval part two

I did consider calling this post Bedroom Upheaval but thought that might garner unwanted internet attention to what has, generally, up to now been a family-rated blog!  But here is the sad tale of the upheaval and mess involved in renovating the main bedroom.

So here is where we started, not pretty, is it?



I now know (from a joiners' autograph on the second unit) that in 1980 two huge fitted wardrobes were built into the main bedroom, massive things each with three big sliding doors.  I've had problems with them ever since we moved here - firstly I hate sliding doors with a passion and secondly I although I have far more clothes than I truly need I could not fill both these monstrous constructions. For eight years we've used one of the cupboards just as an opening, having dumped the semi-damaged doors early on.  It deserves to be repeated - not pretty, huh?  A quilt has hung on the back wall for the last five years - when we were having the laundry room built (which is the other side of this wall) all the plaster fell off!

In mid-February Wayne and Keith made a dreadful mess removing the built-in bits and taking off the remaining dodgy plaster.  Three months on the misery of that week is still unpleasantly fresh in my mind.  I wrote briefly at the time that the work was "accompanied by my near-meltdown as they gaily wielded hammers instead of brains and caused 1000 times more mess than necessary"








It really did not help that during the same visit we were having remedial plastering done around the new windows so not only was the bedroom in a complete mess, but my sewing room had to be 'protected' as did the sitting room.







Eventually things turned around and not only did the boys take away all their own mess but also the concrete plinth at the back of the house which LP had sectioned up in January.



Wayne's plastering is superb, the finish is so smooth it is sometimes hard to believe that it has all been done by hand.  It certainly is the only reason we continue to put up with the chaos they cause!





Fast forward a couple of months (yes, I know this job was not meant to drag out!)  Having seen how simply the first wardrobe unit came down, and worked out that 90% of the mess could have been avoided with a bit of brain and far less brawn, I decided to do most of the dis-assembly on number two myself.








And it worked!  Sure, took me all day because I kept stopping, clearing up, having a rest and then getting back to it but doing things my way was far less stressful than allowing the local wrecking crew to have their way with large hammers!  I did not remove the wooden end piece because it was holding up the horizontal section that was far too heavy for me to cope with alone.



Fortunately, the day the boys came back Management was here, I took Daisy out and when I returned it was all done.  Sadly I forgot to photograph the extremely effective dust sheet barricades I put up but they worked because the room did not get trashed and by the end of the day we were (relatively) tidy.

"All" that has to happen now is painting, new skirting board, and we really must deal with the gap in the carpet before the new wardrobes are delivered . . .











12 comments:

  1. The bedroom is next on my list too, with two (much smaller) built in wardrobes to remove. Here they were constructed directly on to the cob walls which, being essentially mud, retain moisture. Duh. Brains anyone???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yuk, makes my timber frame and plasterboard seem quite sensible! As always I shall look forward to seeing what you do.

      Delete
  2. looking great! and I have to say I do love your huge windows in the living room x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a location like this it would be criminal NOT to have big windows :-}

      Delete
  3. Woah! What major bedroom upheavals indeed! A big step but looks to so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn, as with all projects in this house, it is always 'worth it in the end'. Trouble is, after eight years the 'end' still is not completely in view, sigh :-{

      Delete
  4. What with new windows, kitchen repaint, and now bedroom, it'll be like a new house. Anybody with views like yours would of course have big windows! Luckily we have a WIW and sometimes I think an ordinary one would be OK, but I'll live with what we've got for now. I'm hoping to do some rearranging today as my sewing area just doesn't work. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, there have occasionally been dark mutterings that what with all the work in the garden and inside it would have been quicker/cheaper/easier to build a new house . . . but that ship sailed a long tiem ago, so we are where we are.

      Totally confused - what is a WIW please?

      Good luck with your sewing room reorganisation, pictures perhaps?

      Delete
    2. A walk-in-wardrobe. Not much happened in the sewing room, due to having a few other things to do, though I did move the small bookcase from the hall full of cookbooks, so they are closer to the kitchen. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the explanation :-} A bit like American closets?

      Delete
  5. I am totally green with envy at your sewing room - fabric filled shelves of loveliness. Cue huge sigh of jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the fabric envy moment - but it did take me YEARS to collect this much material.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}