Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Upheaval, part one

I had such a nice plans for today:  get up early, go and collect couple of trays of eggs, take Daisy for a walk and spend the rest of the day in the garden.

The reality is that I had a really crappy night spending much of it awake with horrible shoulder pain and until lunchtime felt as if I'd been run over by a small truck.  Daisy and I did get out this morning - just a couple of miles down the lane and back again but it was very windy and bitterly cold.  Hard to believe that yesterday morning I was sitting in at the edge of the woods above Loweswater with my coat off as we both basked in the sunshine - hey hoe. So Plan B was to put the heating on and try to make a bit more progress in the near total upheaval which is going on in the house at present.  Let me explain . . .

Remember the basement room in which I stored my excessive collection of Christmas decorations, quilt batting and various craft supplies?





Well, Management clearly wanted to expand the motorbike empire into that space so I moved out and took over the back bedroom.  It wasn't getting used more than half a dozen nights each year as a spare room and now we have the caravan there's always an extra bed available on the drive :-}

Whilst turning the space into a 'box room' seemed like a good idea, in truth it didn't really work.  And the other room which has never, ever "worked" is my study; trying to fit all the house paperwork, my rubbish AND a longarm quilting machine into one space has never been successful.  Until Management had one of his Brilliant Think Outside The Box Moments - why not abandon the Box Room idea, move my quilting machine into the back room and the newly released space in my study can become a dedicated yoga area.  Now I really liked this idea - I've tried to create a permanent space for yoga in the bedroom and failed, and the sitting room or day room are too out in the open.

Trouble is, to achieve M's great idea half our belongings need to move from one place to another - at the same time as having the bedroom rebuilt and replastered (ah - something else I haven't mentioned thanks to blog-lag!).



Temporarily a lot of things have been securely boxed up and stored in the new shed, and this afternoon I managed to clear the back room and make a mess in the day room*.








Hopefully this coming weekend we can move the APQS and start to put things straight again.  It is nearly worse than moving house - I can't find a flippin' thing!

At least the weather cheered up for our tea-time walk:-}







*  It occurs to me that 'day room' sounds a bit up-itself.  Really this is the dining room but we never eat in it, there's not even a table.  But it is a room we sit in during the day - hence 'day room'. 

10 comments:

  1. Your method of tidying up sounds a bit like mine - make a mess in one room just to clear another. I quite like the sound of 'day room' - I have a 'joffice, which is half a gym and half an office. I'd love to have a bigger house to accommodate all my stuff - I have three bedrooms here but I'd quite easily fill five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice, having too many possessions is a problem that millions of others would love to deal with but it's still a problem! No matter how many times I fill the back of the car and go to the charity shop there still seems to be far more stuff in this house than two people ought to need.

      I don't think you can do major sorting out like this without making a mess; I just hate mess and need things to be tidy . . .

      Delete
  2. I understand fully about losing things when either 'moving' or tidying up, but hope the new system works for you. Will Merlin really fit in your back bedroom? Mine certainly wouldn't go in one of our spare bedrooms, hence it being in the family room. Hubby and I spent an hour this afternoon looking for our passports, but luckily found them stuck behind something in the desk. Probably tipped backwards by our removalists last year. Now don't overdo this tidying stuff and make your shoulder worse. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Susan, my longarm will not have a huge amount of space around her but there will be at least as much as I have currently, so it will hae to be enough.

      You're looking for passports . . . . how exciting :-}

      Delete
  3. sounds very exciting. my children think it's hilarious when I say I'm tidying my study, but in reality I've made the most horrendous mess........ get it all out to put it away some where new is so messy........ it will be worth it though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M and I have a history of completely re-purposing rooms - it's a mess and upheaval whilst we're doing it but much easier than moving house!

      Delete
  4. It is 'known' as the tetras manoeuvres and the trick is to remember where everything went for when you need it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice try, but I can rarely remember where everything lives when it isn't on the move - do you really thingk I have a snowball's chance when we're in transition!

      Delete
  5. I hope your shoulder is feeling much better. It looks like the weather was beautiful for your walk. A far better use of time. :-) We are slowly having a good clear out as we are hoping to move next year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, before we made our big move up here we spent nearly a year preparing our old house to sell and packing/decluttering. It made a huge difference to the chaos of packing in the last week, but even so ran out of time and I managed to bring stuff with us that eight years on, I still have not sorted out. So whatever needs dealing with, try and do it now . . . {giggle}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}