Sunday, 22 May 2016

Slogging on

Day three with LP was a mixed bag.  The morning went very well with the rest of the turf being stripped off and relocated to take away more of the slope behind the Big Pond.  That area still needs sifted soil to feather in all the edges but it already looks better (and will be easier to mow).

The afternoon did not go so well.  Management often tells me "you don't need to be out in the garden all the time LP's here, supervising him" and I point out that when I am not there, all the time, our enthusiastic helper has a tendency to go "off piste" and not do what I want him to do.  Thursday afternoon was a perfect case in point.  Glossing over the details, I went inside and left LP to join timber edging which will make the border for our new path.  He got completely carried away with making up steel plates and created something which will withstand a bomb going off, not just me hitting it with the lawnmower.  I told him to stop.  There was a disagreement . . .  Fortunately at this point Management came home from an appointment and told him to stop.  Which he did.  M. bless him, now remembers why I have to be outside with LP when he's here.  And LP (bless him?) apologised when he left telling me "I know I got rather carried away but I'd started and didn't know how to get out of what I'd begun".   Grrrrrr.





Friday - painting.  I had to call Management in to do the ceiling sections, but not only are the newly plastered bedroom walls now lovely and white, but I've also freshened up the two accessible walls in the back bedroom which is part of the general reorganisation and huge upheaval we're going through in the house.  Actually, by M's and my "normal standards" we are doing extremely well seeing as we've been here over 8 years and this is the first significant "move everything around and use rooms differently" we've gone through. We have a history of doing mad things like this everywhere we've lived.

Saturday - dog walking and errands have to come first, but then the frightening (for me) task of dismantling the longarm machine and moving it to the other end of the house. In reality it was remarkably easy and stress-free.  Management read the 'how to assemble it' instructions and worked backwards - guess if he can build motorbikes from scratch then a large sewing machine frame is a doddle :-}







Still a bit to do before I actually get to sew, but Molly the Millie fits very nicely into the back room and it feels like a space which will be really nice to work in.



On Monday, Kate (the brilliant painter) will be here for the week and also a new carpenter she recommended who will be fixing missing skirting boards. Weather permitting LP will also be here. Last week was hard with LP here for three days but I have decided the coming week will be much better!

I feel a bit like a moaning kid on a car journey:  "are we nearly there yet?"  just wanting this all to be over.  When we planned our big move from one end of the country to another we didn't include eight years of renovations and upheaval.  I know it is all worth it and we've now got a fabulous but I never realised what a slog it would be to get here.  I am more than ready for this part of our journey to be over :-{













16 comments:

  1. It's so annoying when someone doing something for you does it their own way instead of the way you want - my ex was a bit like that when he did my garden and if I didn't step in and 'supervise' occasionally I'd end up with something completely different.

    I don't know if you've realised but I emailed you a few days ago through this blog. I'm slowly reading through it right from the beginning - now up to January 2012 - and really enjoying seeing how your garden and house have been constantly developing over the years, but now reading this latest post I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a time when you can finally sit down and say 'That's it, there's nothing left to do'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eunice, thanks for the comment and yes, I did get your other message but have a week of trades in the house (again) and virtually no time to do nice computer things (which is why it has taken until Friday morning to check my blog comments).

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a "longarm" before. Very interesting. Your garden is looking very neat and organised...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dani, I am not sure if there is much of patchwork & quilting culture in your country, no probably not many longarm machines.

      Delete
  3. It's looking great, even after the overenthusiastic assistance. It will all be worth it in the end. I'm so sorry I haven't managed to respond to the 'award' but we've unfortunately been tied up this week with health assesments and small person meltdowns. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Jules, none of us have enough time to do everything. As for LP, cannot stay annoyed for long - he was only trying to do a good job.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That's the mantra I repeat over and over and over again . . .

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Wanda, and in truth, not really very painful :-}

      Delete
  6. The garden is still progressing even though LP has his moments. I think Management would be capable with moving the machine as hubby has done mine twice and although some choice words spill out, he gets there in the end. Can't believe you call your APQS Molly, as that what my APQS was called before I went over to Gammill. Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, moving the machine was far easier than I expected. I reminded myself that the (then) APQS dealer was no Einstein and if he could build it we could re-build it!
      I was calling the machine Merlin but a few months ago she told me that 'he' was a 'she' and Molly seems to suit :-} She seems much happier now {snortle}

      Delete
  7. Cheer up, when you finish it will be time to start over again at the beginning. Kidding. Probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, what a lovely thought . . . not . . . shouldn't you be slithering down that Precipitous Bank or something? {{Kidding. Probably. Chuckle}}

      Delete
  8. Interesting to see your progress in the house and the garden Jayne and hopefully LP will listen in future. He obviously thinks he has part shares in your garden and don't blokes always know best lol!!! It WILL all be worth it in the end!!! (although gardening is NEVER finished!!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~spot on Jill~ !! LP has done so much for us, and spent so much time here that he quite understandly feels somewhat proprietorial about the place. This is not the first time I have had to (kindly) remind him that it's my garden {grin}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}