Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Pavement

Here's one of those belated blog-lag-catch-up posts, and it will get a serious number of pictures out of my "To be processed" folder.

It seems like months and months ago that LP noticed the telltale hieroglyphics on our pavement which indicated that Highways.Work.Was.Planned.  Of course, you never get any indication of when that might be, but it was a very happy morning in mid-February (yes, I am "that" behind!) when I saw lots of vans and men in hi-vis jackets assembled outside.  Now here's a sad thing - these guys are going to be making the pavement outside my house safer and nicer (and hopefully facilitate the caravan getting in and out) so why wouldn't I be as nice as possible to them?  Well, apparently, at half the houses they work outside people are snotty, rude, refuse to move their cars and generally behave in an unhelpful manner.

No surprises that our approach was to supply as much tea and coffee as they could drink, have a good chat, explain the problem of our caravan 'bottoming' on the slope and say "please".  No surprises then that we had as little disruption as possible over the next two days, the crew cut back to the top of our gate posts to help even out the slope, and when it came to applying the top coat of tarmac put down nearly four times as much as normal.  LP has some experience of this work and he told me that it is usual to make the top coat about 25-30mm thick - ours was over 100mm.







 









And whilst there are no photos, the really happy moment was the following weekend when I hitched up the caravan and very, very slowly inched off the drive - and made it!  And then with Management's guidance, reversed the van back onto the drive without mishap.  Sadly, the dratted thing hasn't moved since . . . but it will, when the time is right;  "First World problems" and all that.

A small PS:   A necessary reminder that our BT cable comes into the garden three bricks from the end of the wall.  It is now (safely) buried but if ever the tarmac is dug up again I need to be able to tell people where it is before it gets damaged.







11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Dani, it certainly looks better than what was there before.

      Delete
  2. That must certainly make it easier for caravan moving in and out. We need to move our letterbox to make it easier for us and we'll get it done one day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Susan. It only took two years between my complaining to the Council about the state of the pavement and it being repaired! I expect you will deal with your postbox much faster :-}

      Delete
  3. even with the lowest pavement in the world I'd never be able to reverse a caravan, I can barely reverse our car..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised, as long as you have someone watching point for you then reversing the caravan is not as bad as it sounds. LOTS of checking in the mirrors!

      Delete
  4. So much better when everyone can work together to good effect. And amazing the power of tea and the best biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never under-estimate the power of asking "would you like a brew?"

      How is your ankle? Hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
    2. Can get my gardening shoe on again... progress! Thanks Jayne.

      Delete
  5. It's good that the council finally sorted out your pavement and the guys did that little bit extra to help with getting your caravan in and out. I usually find that where workmen are concerned the wearing of a mini skirt works wonders - along with the many brews of course :)

    Several years ago when the housing association were refitting my kitchen they only supplied a certain number of wall cupboards and I ended up with a space which looked odd, so on went the mini skirt and I took a walk round to the site office to ask the foreman for an extra cupboard - and first thing the following morning a guy came round and fitted one for me. I'm not sure if it was the skirt or the way in which I asked nicely but something worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the chuckle Eunice, I am afraid my mini-skirt days are long over :-}

      Glad you got your kitchen cupboard sorted out though.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}