Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Habits

Until the end of last year I had two habits which I was OK with:  one was taking Daisy out in the car two or three times a week even if she does dislike the journey and the other was "blogging at bedtime" as a nice way to review the day.

Since the December floods both of the habits seem to have gone by the wayside.  The first because most of our usual walks were just too flooded to contemplate, it was always bloomin' raining and Daisy definitely didn't want to go far.  The second was lost to the brain fog of exhaustion from sleep deprivation.

However, this is a new month and there is a resolution to resurrect both habits, helped in part by slightly better weather and in part by getting a little more sleep since Liz Hunter started treating my shoulders. 

With dubious fitness and definite lack of "hill legs" this morning's outing was a gentle amble through Holme Wood next to Loweswater.  Setting out it looks like there is a tiny bit of snow left on the High Stile Ridge.



Although it is a while since we walked here, Madam has not forgotten the quick way into the woods.



No-one staying at the Bothy today, so a peep through the windows.  Wonderful setting but a little spartan for my tastes :-}







As the sun peeped through the clouds I was reminded just what an amazing landscape I have right on my doorstep, one which thousands of people drive hundreds of miles to enjoy just for a brief week or two.  It was lovely and quiet in the woods and I only saw two people, a lovely elderly couple who had driven up from East Anglia to enjoy the fells.  I had driven 9 miles (smug face!!)







I recently came across an article online which said you should do something every day which feeds your soul (which is a fine ideal if you don't have to juggle a job and children and a sackful of 21st century commitments) but setting that aside, all I have to do to feed my soul is look around.



Looks like Daisy is also having an enriching moment.





Little Miss Perfect seemed fairly relaxed back at the car, and didn't pay any attention to the brief "highway incident" on our way home.





According to ViewRanger this was just a 3 mile potter, lovely way to start the week.



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. I have done far too little of this recently, but hopefully the seasons have now turned enough that getting out properly can be a more regular occurence.

      Delete
  2. Good to be seeing you more like the Jayne I know. Such a lovely walk that it has to lift the spirits and Daisy looking relaxed too. I came with you in my mind, but people don't just drive miles for that stunning area, we also "fly". You have so many opportunities for Hawthorn's challenge photos, but the one that came to mind is, the view from a window. You wouldn't have far to go(lol). Enjoy the rest of the week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, a "little bird" tells me you might be considering another trip to your spiritual home ???

      I didn't manage to get going for Hawthorn's first photo challenge but looking at the list for May, it does rather seem as if number 9 was put there for me - it would be rude not to participate after an invitation like that {{giggle}}.

      Glad you enjoyed today's pictures. xx

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a lovely walk Jayne, you certainly do live in a wonderful place. The photos are great, I particularly like the 6th one and the first one of Daisy - I think she's looking really thoughtful on that one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eunice, gld you enjoyed the walk. You're right about Daisy, there are times when we see her looking very contemplative, I often wonder just what she's thinking.

      I didn't use the photos taken at the same time of her with half-closed eyes - she almost looks like she is meditating :-}

      Delete
    2. That bothy would be too sparten for me too and wouldn't do anything for my soul either. Lovely photos as usual.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sue. I'm glad it is not just me who would find the bothy a little too basic :-}

      Delete
  4. well deserved smugness I'd say. and it's all a matter of perspective on the bothy. I'd prefer it to a tent say.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tess. By the size of the cars I have seen at the bothy I'd guess that most people who rent it bring a lot of stuff to make sure they are comfy! BTW, you can find it on the National Trust website.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful place you live in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, we are very fortunate and never take it for granted :-} Thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a message.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}