Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Compost bin completion, and progress in the Cottage Garden

At the weekend I sat outside the caravan in shorts but Tuesday morning I needed warm Rab trousers and gloves just to take Daisy into the garden.  This did not deter LP and fortunately it warmed up as the day progressed.

The plan was to rebuild the back of the compost bins (something which has been on The List for ages) so that I could then plant four more laurels to extend our front hedge.  LP saw that he could also repair one of the divider walls which has been damaged by the weight of the poultry poo.

Never dissuade someone who wants to get on with a job which needs completing!  Not many pictures because, in truth, compost bins aren't the most photogenic of things.









He seems to have the bit between his teeth this week and we've made a start on creating a path which will link the house with the nursery area but going through the Cottage Garden.  I've never been a great advocate of hard surface paths in previous gardens but here, where it can cheerfully rain incessantly for eight months out of 12, it really is necessary to be able to get around without trekking through mud and wet grass.



Once it is done I'll also be able to sort out the edging around our small pond which I've never really been happy with.









My contribution over the last two days has been minimal almost to the point of being non-existent.  Yesterday I held bits of wood whilst they were being drilled and screwed, and today my efforts were confined to driving the tractor up and down the garden.  I've been overcome with an even deeper lassitude and tiredness than usual and just not in the mood to fight it.  But when LP asked "can I come back tomorrow and carry on with the lawn/path" I could hardly say no.  Never get in the way of an enthusiastic helper! 















10 comments:

  1. Having someone to do the more backbreaking work is good for you with your wonky shoulder, so you can't say no. It's all coming together and I'm in favour of decent paths as we get older, because our feet aren't as nimble as they used to be. Your weather is much the same as ours I think at the moment, without the incessant wind which has been blowing for about 3 weeks now. I'm tired of it. Have a good day with LP tomorrow and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Susan, whilst the weather is kind and he's enthusiastic it would be madness to say no, although there are a lot of other things I would have prefered to do on Thursday. never mind, it will all work out in the end.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think when you visited the bins were up behind the shed and log store. Made from pallets, not suprisingly they started to rot. My hope is that these are robust to last for as long as I am able to manage this huge garden.

      Yes, they are huge and I play a daft game trying not to put much in the council green bins.

      Delete
  3. Only eight months out of twelve?! That's being optimistic. ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was being kind:-}
      For 8 months out of 12 we can look forward to day after day after day when it's wet. For the other 4 it's just generally damp, fairly often!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sorry {{giggle . . not really}}. Would it make you feel better you could come up here and chuck your apple cores in one of them?

      Delete
  5. Thank you for dropping by my blog, I've been absent from blog land for a few days and catching up today.
    That looks an interesting bit of gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome m'dear, nice to have you pop in :-}

      Oh yes, we certainly do get up to 'interesting' stuff in the garden!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}