Monday, 16 May 2016

Another long weekend

The glorious weather continues (please don't let this be our entire summer, as has happened in the past) and finally we had an opportunity to get away in the caravan.  I've been trying not to get stressed about having bought the van last August and barely used it . . . but it is difficult not to be bothered about having such a gorgeous 'toy' sitting on the drive and not taking it anywhere.  The original intention had been to go to a site near Sedburgh and start to explore the Howgills but I really didn't fancy towing that far. Instead we booked into a gorgeous "CL" site near Bassenthwaite which I had visited a couple of years ago when collecting my friend Jill who was staying there.  Yes, I know it was only 20 miles but seeing as all I intended to do was sit and read then I decided there was no need to go any further.

I spent a very happy birthday on Thursday puttering around loading the van and playing with Daisy, and whilst it was slightly nerve-wracking to hitch up on Friday and inch off the drive on my own I managed it!!  Yeay, very empowering and much relief all round. Also much relief and HUGE thanks to Hawthorn who suggested I try Pet Remedy to help Daisy's in-car stress.  It works!!  Early days and I have only used it on two journeys but Madam seems more calm and there's certainly a lot less dribbling and restless moving around.  Might have worked on me too because I did not find the drive too bad.

For the rest of the weekend there was much sitting around trying to do very little :-}  On Friday afternoon I had the mad idea of trying to put a new awning up - single handed.   Not such a mad idea because I succeeded although it wasn't pegged out properly and when M. joined us on Saturday we re-did the pegs and everything looked very smart thereafter.

We had a gentle bimble towards Whitewater Falls on Saturday afternoon but it was extremely hot and neither Daisy or I were feeling like going past the turning off the farm track.



The only slight cloud in our weekend was the decision to pack up on Sunday afternoon and come home together, rather than M. go to work on Monday morning and leave me to break camp.  I'd not been sleeping well and was ready to come home.  Given we'd never taken the awning down before it only took us 75 minutes from making the decision to leave to being ready to drive away, as novices I reckon that's  not bad, and even though we left early we felt the weekend was a success.  Nothing went wrong, nothing significant had been forgotten, and being in the caravan itself is just lovely.  Maybe a little further afield next time?

Daisy generally seemed very relaxed at the site, completely ignoring the chickens and feeling secure enough not only to wander a little way from the van but to run around after her toys.  Normally there is no point taking a ball anywhere outside the garden because her need to stay close to me overcomes her desire to chase after a toy.



Management perfected the art of outdoor BLT assembly and pronounced it quite delicious!





Very few photos because I spent most of my time just sitting with the Kindle.




Looking down the valley from our pitch



Looking back up to the site shared with one motorhome occupied by a very quiet couple.



A little nippy early in the morning, but Someone seemed happy enough



So lovely to see Daisy this relaxed









15 comments:

  1. Yay for happy get-aways with happy dogs😊🐶 beautiful countryside, most envious! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear, I confess I was sceptical when you suggested Pet Remedy but I was wrong and you were right 😊🐶

      Sorry to make you envious :-}

      Delete
  2. Ps happy birthday too, you kept that under your hat, hope it was a great day xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again! When you've had as many birthdays as me you might kep quiet too, ha ha!

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a great weekend and thanks for the link to that site, it looks gorgeous. We've not used ours much recently, but I think we need to show you some 'van' life. Well done Daisy on your travelling. Is Pet Rememdy like Rescue Remedy? Hey, you've not had as many birthdays as me, but at the moment you are only ten less, but not for long.(sob). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pet Remedy is valerian based, here's the website http://www.petremedy.co.uk/, I would not have known about it if not for our mutual friend :-} It has a lovely hay/sileage sort of smell and probably helped me too!

      Are you going to 'fess up when your birthday is? I've been having a rummage around your blog but I cannot find any mention your YOUR day although you often talk about everyone else's!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a lovely weekend Jayne ,,,, we really enjoyed staying on that site too. The views are glorious and it looked as though you had pretty perfect weather too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great Jill, so thanks :-} Do you have plans to go back there this summer?

      Delete
  5. Not at the moment ,,, might be off to Pembrokeshire at half tern but then again "half term" ,,, maybe not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated Happy Birthday wishes. What a wonderful weekend and what a beautiful place to spend it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. It was very quiet, just what I needed.

      Delete
  7. A very belated Happy Birthday, looks like you had a great weekend even if you did come home a little early. Gorgeous photos too, and I love the one of Daisy in her red coat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. The red coat was a quickly thrown together homemade fleecy thing but it fits her better than anything available to buy. Keep meaning to make a couple more.

      Delete
  8. happy birthday wishes xxxx sounds like a lovely trip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-} It was a lovely couple of days, definitely worth it.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}