Sunday, 3 April 2016

Another busy weekend

More of those First World problems; getting so much done at present that I cannot seem to keep up.  I would prefer to post things chronologically but in The Great Scheme of Things it doesn't really matter so I'm going to jump right in with today's work; eventually I will catch up with what we've been doing in the last few weeks and in future years when I look back over the blog the fact that I published things out of order will be of no consequence.

So, it's Sunday, LP has a free day and suggested that he came over to help Management with more welding.  Oh goody - you can imagine how thrilled M. was to find that he would be spending the best part of his day bent over an arc welder.  We've had the materials to make a decent deck/step outside the kitchen door since May 2013, but other things kept getting in the way.  By the end of the day, however, they had the frame completed, hauled into position (it was extremely heavy and I kept out of the way), levelled and concreted into place.  I managed to contribute a little by driving the tractor so that concrete did not have to be carried/barrowed up from the drive :-}













And whilst the concrete mixer was onsite we took the opportunity to do a little work on our "obsy".  Trellis will go between the posts and eventually we will be shielded from an extremely irritating and bright streetlight.





 
 


I achieved a little more than photographs - aside from walking Daisy, playing with Daisy, and making zillions of mugs of tea I made a start on the area behind the Top Pond.  What used to be a path is completely overgrown and unsafe but digging out what has grown there is going to be a much tougher job than I expected.  There is a very fine line between plants which "do well in this part of the world and grow strongly" and those which are "flippin' invasive and need removing completely", that line has been crossed by flag iris, wild strawberries and goodness knows what else!









10 comments:

  1. I have flag iris and wild strawberry invasion issues too! Been in the garden trying to corral the excess into the compost with moderate success. This garden isn't big enough for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawthorn, well I'm sorry you have similar problems but relieved I am not the only one. Until I came here I had no idea that wild strawberry could be such a weed. The flag iris is my own fault, I introduced it so I'll be un-introducing it.

      Good luck with your corralling!

      Delete
  2. Good weekends work, so must have been OK weatherwise. Invasive plants are a pain. The ones in this garden that bug me are the seaside daisy (erigeron) and and some native strappy plants with blue flowers, then berries which seem to come up everywhere. Have a lovely week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, one man's pretty plant is another persons pest, I'd happily have some of your erigeron! How is your new garden coming on?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Tess, I hope there is similar progress at your MIL's house :-}

      Delete
  4. A lot of work for one weekend. Your garden is a great size. It's looking great. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, thank you for taking the time to comment. In truth it was M. and LP who did most of the work this weekend:-}

      Delete
  5. That is some step! I bet you have to tread carefully with that weeding to avoid an early bath :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, yes you do have to be careful when moving around this bit! I'm thinking about how to modify it so that I don't take an unplanned swim.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}