Tuesday, 5 April 2016

30 minutes

Over the months/years I have made reference to ongoing shoulder problems and left it at that, blogs where the author constantly bangs on about their ills, aches and pains can be a bit of a turn off . . . However, just because I don't mention something does not mean it isn't ever-present, and in the case of whatever damage I have inflicted upon myself over the last few years, there is ever-present pain and restricted mobility which impacts on every aspect of my life.  Last year a GP took a whole 5 minutes to jump to the conclusion that I had an inflammatory condition called Polymyalgia Rheumatica, despite my symptoms and bloodwork which did not support that.  However, at the time I was desperate for something, anything which sounded like a diagnosis and I accepted a prescription for steroids to combat the inflammation.

Now, if you give enough steroids to anyone they will most likely feel fantastic - I had no pain so I was sleeping well and that meant I felt much, much better.  And that was enough to convince my GP the diagnosis was correct and she refused to look any further.  Which might have been fine except that steroids are foul things in any instance, and for someone on the edge of Pre-Diabetic they Are A Very Foul thing.  I lasted a few months and whilst the lack of pain has been great, the daily grind of a Ketogenic Diet to maintain a healthy Blood Glucose level was taking its toll so I chucked the steroids in the bin last month*.  And then I did something I really, really should have done years ago - I went to see Liz Hunter who is a very well respected physiotherapist in Cockermouth.  Liz identified the shoulder problems I have, quite probably caused by working too hard for too long (shakes head in disbelief, me? really?).  Her prescribed exercise regime is not easy and it is going to take months to recover, but from Day One I felt better and truly believe, this time we might be getting somewhere.

Management accompanied me to my appointment yesterday so he could see exactly what my exercises were supposed to look like and when he's at home he will act at 'spotter' for me which is going to be a great help.  The three of us had a long chat about things I do and how I do them and I have agreed to a new way of working.  Basically, I am "allowed" to do (nearly) anything I want providing I don't do it for more than thirty minutes at a time.

Which sounded crazy - but yesterday lunchtime Daisy and I got outside during a gap in the weather, and in half an hour I cleared another section of the Top Pond Bed.
(OK, it still looks a mess but I can see the difference!



And before supper I had 20 minutes in the New Garden.
(which also still looks a mess, but at least I've made a start . . .)



It is human nature that if you can see tangible results from something then there is a good chance you will continue to do it!  So today, after a rather late start and the obligatory dog walks and houseworky stuff, the kitchen timer and I went back outside.  Trimming the honeysuckle was 15 minutes.



Fitting trellis panels into place only took 20 minutes; smug face - very pleased with myself!



Equally smug was the subsequent decision to go inside for an hour and doss around.  Working above head height to secure those panels was not terribly comfortable!

Half an hour to finish weeding the little bed to the left of the path and plant our first "Not-A-Box" hedging with the Lonicera nitida I bought last week.   It has staggered me just how much I have done today whilst not really feeling like I've "been at it" for long . . . yes, there is a lesson here, maybe I am finally learning it?





* and the blood glucose levels, whilst not perfect, are much, much, much better now I don't have to deal with steroids mucking things up ! 




11 comments:

  1. Go for it Jayne, but be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, but I think the same applies to you - your Precipitous Bank has the potential to be just as damaging to life and limb!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that we've both just visited physios at about the same time and mine is called Libby (Elizabeth) and has come up with what is probably all my problems along with my new 'very young' doctor who seems to view me as a person, not just an "old" stressed idiot. I'll email or talk soon. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, that sounds wonderful, do hope things work out for you as well as (fingers crossed) I think they are going to for me. No such thing as coincidence!

      I still haven't replied to your last email . . . sorry :-{

      Delete
  3. Little and often! Well done, hope you keep on getting and feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn, I have to admit to rather liking this "30 minute" thing. I got a surprising amount done but it did not feel like I'd been working very hard - win, win!

      Delete
  4. I hope things go well for you sans steroids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suw. Sans steroids has got to be a good thing!

      Delete
    2. Oops, sorry, SuE! Finger trouble with on-screen keyboard!

      Delete
  5. I saw a physio when I had a shoulder problem, some type of impingement I think it was, she gave me a long list of exercises and a stretchy band, I never believed it would help and I was truly amazed when it did! hope you're feeling much better soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tess, well, I haven't got a stretchy band and it is currently only three exercises but I hope I make as much progress as you did.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}