Friday, 11 March 2016

Twice in one week?

Having just watched the first two episodes of the new season of Gardener's World (aww, isn't Nelly the new retriever lovely)? I feel very horticulturally inspired.  Darn good job too because there have been times over the past few months when I wondered if we would ever be able to garden again.  

Slightly unbelievably I managed a second day in the garden on Thursday.  Darn good job too because Tuesday and Wednesday had turned out to be extremely shitty and I was in much need of a mood enhancer.  Nothing but "First World problems" including but not restricted to a car which wouldn't start (knackered battery), a delivery which didn't turn up, and a delivery which eventually did turn up and was sent back because it was damaged.

So it was with much relief that I was able to have another stab at the Fedge Bed.  Not as warm and sunny as Monday but still dry and bright enough to garden for a few hours.  As I resisted the temptation of sneaking into the greenhouse by the time I had to pack up most of the out of control honeysuckle was cut back, a wild and thoroughly bad-tempered rose had been cut down to the ground and half of the bed was dug over.



The rose has a malevolence that would not be out of place in a remake of The Exorcist with thorns that believe their role in the world is to remove your flesh.  Trouble is, the dratted thing is beautiful and the bees love it (the scent is not bad either);  it is also the only rose I seem to be able to cultivate which grows strongly and does not succumb to blackspot.  I have cut it completely down to the ground and hope that as it regrows I will be able to keep it under better control.



It is entirely my own fault that creeping buttercup has crept back in but thankfully the ground is soft enough that is came up fairly well.



I might even have finished it if not for a momentary lapse of concentration whilst I was cutting up rose & honeysuckle in order to maximise what went into the Council green bin.  I really had no idea my Felco's were quite that sharp . . .



Much Hibiscrub (ouch), butterfly sutures and sterile dressings and dear Management didn't once tell me I was an idiot (although he had every right to).  But he did help me clear up and move the bins, and not mind that dinner was late because I went for a soak in the bath :-}

On a happier note, last year when we had the slate chippings put down I created little beds under the seats in our Arbor.  I planted them up with some Common Dog Violets that my favourite nursery had given me for free.  The plants were in a right mess and Robert reckoned he could not sell them so I might as well have them.  After a summer's TLC in the nursery and a warm & damp winter in their new home I was surprised to find one plant in flower - their normal flowering period is April - June. 










15 comments:

  1. ooooh OUCH!! I see Daisy is being as sympathetic as a dog can be (are you going to throw the ball for me now???) I missed Gardener's world, need to get up to speed with a bit of catch up tv x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hawthorn; ouch indeed. And rather lucky - I was about 2mm away from stitches and a punctured blood vessel :-{

      Impressed to see you are quite fluent in "Daisy-speak". Much as I adore her, like all dogs she's basically a selfish little b*gger when we're outside and there are rugby balls on the lawn :-}

      Delete
  2. We once planted a solitary violet and now we have them coming up everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh excellent, so there is hope for the sparsley planted bed to fill out.

      Delete
    2. Many seeds come up for away from the parent plant so you may have to do some moving them about.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, care needed. Hope it's healing well. The episodes of Gardener's World we are seeing still have Nigel in them, though I do realise he's quite an old dog. Did he pass away? It seems you are in tidy up mode and all should look good when the warm weather really arrives. We have violets everywhere in this garden, but they are our little native ones with very tiny flowers and no scent. Up in the old house here, we had the sweet smelly ones and you could smell them when you came in the gate on a warm afternoon. Heavenly. Have a good weekend and take. Hiya Daisy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't panic, Nigel is still in the garden, just being tormented by a new arrival :-}

      Lucky you having so many violets in your new garden.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you :-} Surprisingly pain free, I was very lucky.

      Delete
  5. Apparently we have another week of good weather in store, it's great to be gardening again. But watch those Felco's!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that forecast too:-} Trying not to make plans and get my hopes up.

      Delete
  6. Ouch! impressive dressing. The Nu and I did some tidying up in the garden yesterday afternoon and it finally felt like spring had arrived. Like you I had been wondering if the garden would ever dry out again - at least the raised veggie beds are draining. Loving Nellie and it's so great to have Gardener's World back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curvy. Dressing is as much for protection as to cover the gash, which thankfully, seems to be healing rapidly.

      I shall have to have a poke around in our raised beds and see if they are drier.

      Delete
  7. Do please keep a close eye on that! It was after a very nasty cut through my finger with my Felcos which made me ill for several weeks I lost my life long enthusiasm for gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amanda, that sounds horrible, I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. I am extremely relieved to see that we cleaned it thoroughly enough that there's no infection and I'm healing far faster than I expected. If anyone saw it now they would wonder what all the fuss was about :-}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}