Friday, 4 March 2016

Spring is most definitely sprung :-}

I glanced out of the study window at just the right moment to see movement in the Big Pond.



There were at least 20 frogs, possibly more, making tadpoles :-}  The photos had to be taken through the study window - going outside and creeping around didn't work and they all disappeared until I went back inside.



Our little froggy friends were "at it" all day and when we walked Daisy at tea-time there were already a few clumps of spawn, wonder how much there will be tomorrow?



And this, boys and girls, is why I will be catching and killing as many Great Diving Beetle larvae as I can possibly find.  The beneficial effect of the GDB in our garden is (to the best of my knowledge) zero.  The beneficial effect of loads of tadpoles and frogs is huge.












8 comments:

  1. I haven't noticed frogs here yet. I must have been mistaken as I thought that your last post showed damselfly larvae,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, I am sorry for the confusion. No, the previous post was a moan about Great Diving Beetle larvae. I would never, ever intentionally do anything to damage damselfly larvae :-{. You must have thought I was completely off my rocker {snortle}

      Delete
  2. Our tadpoles have all grown or been eaten, but we've definitely seen little ones leaving the pond and can now hear bigger ones somewhere in the garden. Glad you've seen the frogs, but hope the GDB don't get them. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a couple of evenings last year when Daisy and I went out at bedtime I could hear a 'frog chorus' in the pond. Wish I had thought to try some video to capture the sound. Glad your new garden is healthy enough to support your own froggy family.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear the frogs are waking up and getting busy again. A real sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DW. The lovely thing is that they are back this morning.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}